The trend of the sector towards faster and more flexible production and lower prices had been accelerated by the phase-out of the Multifibre Arrangement in 2005. The TCLF sector today is characterized by high volatility, low predictability, and generally low profit margins. Production is generally subcontracted to suppliers in different countries, leading to a forceful competition that brings costs down. Additionally, the sector remains among the most labour-intensive industries, despite advances in technology and workplace practices.
The Rana Plaza collapse in Bangladesh in 2013 and the factory fire in Pakistan in 2012 were a tipping point in the world of work. These tragic accidents called world attention to the working conditions of garment workers in general. Since then, enhanced cooperation between tripartite constituents and other stakeholders has resulted in the negotiation of new initiatives at global and national levels.
ILO promotes decent work in the textiles, clothing, leather and footwear sector by:
- promoting social dialogue on main challenges and opportunities in the sector as well as building consensus among tripartite constituents on measures to address them;
- increasing and disseminating knowledge on recent trends and developments;
- supporting the implementation of international labour standards and workplace compliance;
- building capacity of sectoral constituents on different issues (OSH, skills, minimum wages, etc);
- strengthening partnerships and policy coherence among different stakeholders at global, regional and country levels.
01 March 2017
13 December 2016
11 November 2016
The ILO is an International Government Observer to the Social and Labor Convergence project, which seeks to develop a simple, unified and effective industry-wide assessment framework to accelerate social progress in the apparel and footwear sector.
ILO flagship programme for the garnent industry
Meetings and events
Dhaka, Bangladesh, 28 April 2017
Global Dialogue Forum on Wages and Working Hours in the Textiles, Clothing, Leather and Footwear Industries
Geneva, 23-25 September 2014
- Occupational safety and health in the textiles, clothing, leather and footwear sector
- Bibliographies on the textiles and clothing sector
Tripartite Meeting on Promoting Fair Globalization in Textiles and Clothing in a Post-MFA Environment
Geneva, 24-26 October 2005