BRICS is a grouping acronym referring to the countries of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. Since 2009, BRICS countries are meeting annually at formal summits and the ILO is supporting the respective BRICS presidencies.
Previous and forthcoming BRICS summits
BRICS: Facts and figures
- The unemployment rate in BRICS countries is stagnating at around 5.6 per cent.
- Youth unemployment grew continuously since 2010 and reached a record high of 18.2 per cent in 2019.
- The gender gap in the labour force participation rate stands at 31.2 percentage points.
- The share of youth not in employment, education or training (NEET) is estimated at 14.8 per cent for male and at 37.4 per cent for female youth.
- About 9.3 per cent of the adult and 22.8 per cent of the youth labour force is underutilized; i.e. they are either unemployed or time-related underemployed.