Implementation of a Pilot of an Employment Injury Scheme (EIS) in Bangladesh
This initiative will support the Government of Bangladesh, and the social partners to introduce a pilot of an Employment Injury Scheme (EIS) in the Ready-Made Garments (RMG) sector, and gradually operationalize the EIS system, as the first step towards a sustainable contributory social insurance system in the country.
Implementation of a Pilot of an Employment Injury Scheme (EIS) in Bangladesh funded by the Netherlands, is a one-year programme aimed to introduce and functionalize an EIS pilot in the RMG industry. The concept of this project is based on the experiences of the Rana Plaza Accidental Arrangement in 2015.
Noushin Shah, National Project Coordinator, EIS
The main objectives
- The first objective is to strengthen the existing capacity of the stakeholders in delivering medical care and compensation services for the temporary incapacity of the workers; and
- The second is to introduce a risk-pooling approach for long-term compensation and health care for workers with permanent incapacity and long-term compensation for family members of deceased workers.
- Knowledge base of the stakeholders in fine-tuning and implementing the Pilot of an EIS strengthened.
- Pilot of an EIS is operational.
- Capacity of enterprise clinics in response to the COVID-19 pandemic strengthened.