“However, we realize that we cannot do this alone. We need the support from the industries to reach the target. Therefore, we appraise the key role of the private sector and trade union in the national apprenticeship programme,” said Muhammad Ali, Director Vocational Training and Apprenticeship of the Ministry Manpower.
He highlighted the key role of private sector during the launch of a joint virtual training manual on pedagogical skills for mentors of workplace apprenticeship. Held on 6 July, the launch of the virtual training marked the first multi-stakeholder partnership of government, employers' and workers’ organizations to develop an integrated pedagogical skills training to improve the quality of mentorship in the workplace apprenticeship.
The virtual training was jointly developed by the ILO in collaboration with the Ministry of Manpower, the Indonesian Employers’ Organization (Apindo), the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce (Kadin) Indonesia, the Indonesia National Movement for Competency (GNIK), the Confederation of All Indonesian Trade Unions (KSBSI) and the Confederation of All Workers Union (KSPSI-AITUC).
As a follow-up to the launch, an interactive discussion was conducted, presenting the representatives from the Ministry of Manpower, GNIK and the company as the practitioners dealing with workplace apprenticeship programme. They shared their insights about the crucial roles of mentors in developing their apprentices’ technical and non-technical skills and improving their employability and skills matched.
Fauziah, Acting Director of Director of Empowerment of Instructors and Trainers of the Ministry of Manpower, explained that the apprenticeship programme regulated under the Manpower Ministerial Decree No. 6/2020, is specifically designated for jobseekers. “Thus, mentors play a key role in smoothing the transition to employment and in providing jobseekers with real working experiences.”
Sharing her personal experience as an apprentice twenty years ago at a multinational automotive company, Gusrini Mustafa, OC Growth Affairs of GNIK, valued the impacts given by her mentors during her apprenticeship to her today’s career development. “My mentors have given me a profound impact that has pushed me to be a better mentor,” she told
She added that the roles of mentors, among others, were to help accelerating day-to-day learning process, coaching on-the-job training, expanding the networks, connecting with other workers and the company, developing the personality and being the role model for learning soft skills. Therefore, four competencies that good quality mentors should include pedagogy, personality, social and professional behaviours.
Roles of mentors, among others, are to help accelerating day-to-day learning process, coaching on-the-job training, expanding the networks, connecting with other workers and the company, developing the personality and being the role model for learning soft skills. Therefore, four competencies that good quality mentors should include pedagogy, personality, social and professional behaviours."
“With both the instructor and mentor, we hope that the apprentices will be more skilled and will be more adaptive. As a result, 90 percent of the graduates are hired while the remaining 10 percent choose to be entrepreneurs,” said Rahmat.
The polling conducted during the discussion showed that more than 95 percent of 255 participants considered the virtual training manual on pedagogical skills for mentors of workplace apprenticeship were beneficial, would use it and widely disseminate it.
“The innovative virtual pedagogical training for workplace apprenticeship will provide a free wider access for mentors to learn and improve their knowledge and capacity that will contribute to smooth transition from training to work. This even will be more relevant during and in the post COVID-19 exercising social distancing,” concluded Tauvik Muhamad, the ILO’s programme manager for skills development.
The event was also marked the second event of the ILO’s series of webinars on quality apprenticeships for industries under its Industry Skills for Inclusive Growth Phase 2 – Indonesia, funded by the Government of Japan. The series will be held until mid of July, and aims to promote the importance of apprenticeship programmes for improving the competency of Indonesian human resources.
The free virtual training can be accessed through two platforms: ILO TV Indonesia.