Our partners

  1. International Finance Corporation
  2. UNHCR
  3. UNICEF
  4. The World Bank
Made possible thanks to the generous support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
  1. Web page of the project (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands)
  2. ILO's development cooperation programmes with the Netherlands

Get in touch

ILO Country Office for Ethiopia, Djibouti, Somalia, Sudan and South Sudan
Visit their website

Sean Paterson
Chief Technical Advisor
patersond@ilo.org
Twitter: @DSeanPaterson
Follow PROSPECTS: @ILOProspects

Sudan

Africa's largest displacement crisis

In 2019, Sudan’s political environment witnessed a historical shift. Yet, the humanitarian and economic climate have been subject to a continuous decline. Due to decades of economic sanctions and violent conflict, development funding and support from the international community is limited.

Sudan currently hosts 1 million refugees and asylum seekers, mostly from South Sudan. An additional 1.86 million people are internally displaced. Key challenges undermining the realization of economic opportunities, quality education and training, as well as protection and inclusion of both forcibly displaced persons and vulnerable host communities include:
  1. The need to improve access to and quality of education and vocational training;
  2. The absence of a system to facilitate the transition to decent work;
  3. An underfunded response to the forced displacement of millions of people;
The PROSPECTS Project is a partnership between the ILO, UNHCR, UNICEF, the IFC and the WB. Funded by the Government of the Netherlands, the partnership works towards Inclusive Jobs and Education for Forcibly Displaced Persons and Host communities in Sudan. It will prioritize delivering change within the South Sudanese refugee, internally displaced, returnees, and host community populations in East Darfur and West Kordofan across three pillars:
  • Pillar 1: Quality Education and Training
  • Pillar 2: Employment and Livelihoods
  • Pillar 3: Protection and Inclusion

The Situation in Target States

As of January 2020, more than 76,000 South Sudanese refugees and more than 60,000 IDPs reside in East Darfur. Of these 68% live in self-settlements among host communities, and the remaining 32% live in Kario and Al Nimir camps. West Kordofan hosts around 60,000 South Sudanese refugees and more than 86,000 IDPs almost all of which live in self-settlements across the localities of Keilak, Meiram, Abyei-Muglad and Babanusa. These settlements are far away and from the state capital of El Fula and governmental services. Both states have a population of around 2 million people. The vast majority of which (70-84%) are farmers with insufficient access to government services, formal markets and labour markets, and who are frequently exposed to tribal conflicts and violence.

What we plan to do

Under PROSPECTS the ILO is focusing its technical assistance on improving the quality of life for forcibly displaced and host communities from al Nimir camp and the nearby settlement of Assalaya in East Darfur, and El Meiram and Kharasana Settlements in West Kordofan. Together with our UN sister agencies, we are working to improve the quality and availability of locally relevant livelihoods skills training, strengthening the links between small plot farmers and agro-commodity buyer networks, and restore access to critical water resources.

Where we stand

To date we have completed our Market Systems assessment, conducted a rapid assessment of the impact of COVID on local labour markets, launched a comprehensive baseline survey, and completed a number of engineering missions aimed at developing a portfolio of infrastructure rehabilitation projects that will anchor our Employment Intensive civil works programme in the state.

Country Vision Note

  1. Document

    Country Vision Note for Sudan

    Vision Note for a new Partnership between the Government of Netherlands, IFC, ILO, UNHCR, UNICEF and the World Bank in Sudan