This means that:
- 2.02 million people die each year from work-related diseases.
- 321,000 people die each year from occupational accidents.
- 160 million non-fatal work-related diseases per year.
- 317 million non –fatal occupational accidents per year.
Deaths and injuries take a particularly heavy toll in developing countries, where a large part of the population is engaged in hazardous activities, such as agriculture, construction, fishing and mining.
- Every 15 seconds, a worker dies from a work-related accident or disease.
- Every 15 seconds, 151 workers have a work-related accident.