A roadmap for a human-centred future
A human-centred approach
The Declaration's “human-centred approach” focuses on three areas of action:
- Increasing investment in people’s capabilities
- Increasing investment in the institutions of work
- Increasing investment in decent and sustainable work
These reflect the key recommendations outlined in the report of the Global Commission on the Future of Work published in January 2019.
A call to action
The Declaration issues a call to action for all member States to:
- Ensure all people benefit from the changing world of work
- Ensure the continued relevance of the employment relationship
- Ensure adequate protection for all workers
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full employment and decent work
- It also sets priorities for the ILO’s work, as outlined in its Programme and Budget
The ILO’s mandate
The Declaration draws inspiration from the ILO’s founding principles to renew the social justice mandate and reinvigorate the ILO to shape a future of decent work for all.