We work with member States to respond to their employment challenges and shape a better future of work by:
- Building their capacities on the design, delivery and monitoring of gender-sensitive, youth inclusive employment policies;
- Generating global knowledge and evidence through research, diagnostics and assessments;
- Strengthening their ability to design, delivery and monitor employment services and labour market programmes for effective labour market transitions;
- Mobilising resources and partnerships to scale up action and the impact of our work.
ILO Youth Country Brief
11 November 2020
This brief analyses the nature and duration of the school-to-work transition in Rwanda and compares it with other Sub-Saharan countries as well as reviewing the country’s youth employment policy.
ILO Country brief
05 November 2020
25 October 2020
This note presents the findings of a rapid phone survey of the labour market, conducted in Ethiopia in August 2020. Questions covered the situation of respondents before the pandemic (in February) and at the time of the survey (during the previous week or month, depending on the variable). The survey was designed in line with the ILO Statistical Department’s guidance for rapid surveys on the impact of COVID19 on the labour market. This note presents the findings for the first wave of the survey. A series of rapid surveys will be carried out in 2020 and 2021, to monitor the evolving impact of the COVID19 pandemic.
30 September 2020
This policy brief highlights the role of gender-responsive national employment policies in responding to the short- and longer-term impact of the COVID-19 crisis.
ILO Working Paper 8
14 September 2020
This report was undertaken as part of the ILO Future of Work project and aims to (i) review the literature on the concepts and drivers of aspirations; (ii) develop a conceptual framework that relates labour market conditions to aspirations; (iii) map the existing survey-based evidence on the aspirations of youth worldwide; and (iv) provide insights into how to improve data collection, research and evidence-based policy-making related to young persons aspirations.
09 September 2020
Key resources (ILO normative and policy instruments)
- Promoting employment and decent work in a changing landscape - General Survey. 2020
- ILO Centenary Declaration for the future of work, 2019
- Recommendation No. 204 concerning the Transition from the Informal to the Formal Economy. 2015
- The youth employment crisis : A call for action Resolution and conclusions of the 101st Session of the International Labour Conference, Geneva, 2012
- Private Employment Agencies Convention, 1997 (No. 181)
- Employment Policy Convention, 1964 (No. 122)
- Employment Service Convention, 1948 (No. 88)