We work with member States to respond to their employment challenges and shape a better future of work by:
- Building their capacities on the design, delivery and monitoring of gender-sensitive, youth inclusive employment policies;
- Generating global knowledge and evidence through research, diagnostics and assessments;
- Strengthening their ability to design, delivery and monitor employment services and labour market programmes for effective labour market transitions;
- Mobilising resources and partnerships to scale up action and the impact of our work.
26 October 2021
The COVID-19 crisis caused unprecedented job losses, hitting women the hardest, particularly in middle-income countries. The COVID-19 recovery is proving both uneven and gender-unequal, as women’s employment recovery is lagging behind men’s.
Employment Policy Gateway: For accessing national employment policies, and youth employment strategies
19 October 2021
This video presents the ILO Employment Policy Gateway, a unique worldwide reference and source of information on national employment policies, and strategies to promote youth employment.
ILO launches new online database on employment policies and strategies to promote an inclusive job-rich recovery
19 October 2021
The online platform will serve as a unique worldwide reference and source of information on national employment policies, and strategies to promote youth employment.
13 October 2021
Part I: Employment policy design: Lessons from the past, policies for the future
Towards decent work for young refugees and host communities in the digital platform economy in Africa: Kenya, Uganda, Egypt
12 August 2021
This report explores job creation in the gig economy from the unique experiences and perspectives of youth and refugees, as well as from the viewpoint of digital labour and e-commerce platforms, digital training providers, start-up incubators, social partners, and policymakers.
Joint ILO-FAO-Cirad engagement to support job rich recovery in Africa
JobAgri: Putting knowledge to work to support job-rich investments in agriculture and agri-food chains in sub-Saharan Africa
20 July 2021
Key resources (ILO normative and policy instruments)
- Promoting employment and decent work in a changing landscape - General Survey. 2020
- ILO Centenary Declaration for the future of work, 2019
- Recommendation No. 204 concerning the Transition from the Informal to the Formal Economy. 2015
- The youth employment crisis : A call for action Resolution and conclusions of the 101st Session of the International Labour Conference, Geneva, 2012
- Private Employment Agencies Convention, 1997 (No. 181)
- Employment Policy Convention, 1964 (No. 122)
- Employment Service Convention, 1948 (No. 88)