We work with member States to respond to their employment challenges and shape a better future of work by:
- Building their capacities on the design, delivery and monitoring of gender-sensitive, youth inclusive employment policies;
- Generating global knowledge and evidence through research, diagnostics and assessments;
- Strengthening their ability to design, delivery and monitor employment services and labour market programmes for effective labour market transitions;
- Mobilising resources and partnerships to scale up action and the impact of our work.
27 May 2022
The overall objective of this document is to provide policymakers, development practitioners and social partners with a better understanding of the different types of employment diagnostic approaches that have been undertaken during the Covid-19 pandemic.
02 March 2022
Young people have been especially hard hit by the COVID-19 crisis. Despite support provided by governments, many young people had to rely on their individual capabilities and resources to adapt and react to these difficult times.
Podcast: ILO/Sida Partnership
11 February 2022
This podcast provides a closer look at how El Salvador is using the global expertise of the ILO and the resources of the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA) to generate new and inclusive employment policies. Guests are ILO Employment, Labour Markets and Youth Branch Chief Sukti Dasgupta in Geneva and ILO-SIDA project manager Juan José Urbina in El Salvador.
Guidelines on the setting-up of effective job centres in developing countries with reference to Sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and North Africa regions
07 February 2022
These Guidelines on how to establish job centres (employment service centres) were developed in response to calls from ILO constituents and the YouMatch Project partner countries in sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East and North Africa regions.
10 December 2021
The International Labour Organization has launched a rapid survey on the impacts of COVID-19 on work and aspirations. We want to hear from you!
Key resources (ILO normative and policy instruments)
- Promoting employment and decent work in a changing landscape - General Survey. 2020
- ILO Centenary Declaration for the future of work, 2019
- Recommendation No. 204 concerning the Transition from the Informal to the Formal Economy. 2015
- The youth employment crisis : A call for action Resolution and conclusions of the 101st Session of the International Labour Conference, Geneva, 2012
- Private Employment Agencies Convention, 1997 (No. 181)
- Employment Policy Convention, 1964 (No. 122)
- Employment Service Convention, 1948 (No. 88)