Employment, Labour Markets and Youth Branch (EMPLAB)
We work with member States to respond to their employment challenges and shape a better future of work by:
- Building their capacities on the design, delivery and monitoring of gender-sensitive, youth inclusive employment policies;
- Generating global knowledge and evidence through research, diagnostics and assessments;
- Strengthening their ability to design, delivery and monitor employment services and labour market programmes for effective labour market transitions;
- Mobilising resources and partnerships to scale up action and the impact of our work.
Joint ILO-FAO-Cirad engagement to support job rich recovery in Africa
JobAgri: Putting knowledge to work to support job-rich investments in agriculture and agri-food chains in Africa
10 March 2023
How to work in the green economy? Guide for young people, job seekers and those who support them
01 September 2022
When choosing professional future, many young people, sensitive to planetary issues, would like their future job to be consistent with their convictions and help to bend the carbon curve. However, for non-specialists, the green economy is still very vague. Which careers to go to? What skills to acquire? This guide aims to provide them with answers.
Income support for non-covered workers during COVID-19: a review of policy responses
26 August 2022
This paper provides an overview of the income support measures for non-covered workers implemented in response to the COVID-19 crisis, describing the collection of measures and policies in place in each selected country.
Global Employment Trends for Youth 2022: Investing in transforming futures for young people
11 August 2022
Incorporating the most recent labour market information available, Global Employment Trends for Youth sets out the youth labour market situation around the world. It shows where progress has or has not been made, updates world and regional youth labour market indicators, and gives detailed analyses of trends and issues facing young people in the labour market.
Policy sequences during and after COVID-19: A review of labour market policy patterns
24 June 2022
This policy brief tracks the sequential logic of labour market policies across a sample of countries from all world regions.
Promoting youth employment during COVID-19: A review of policy responses
24 June 2022
This report gives an overview on actual policy responses in the area of youth employment during the COVID-19 crisis in 20 selected countries.
Key resources (ILO normative and policy instruments)
- Promoting employment and decent work in a changing landscape - General Survey. 2020
- ILO Centenary Declaration for the future of work, 2019
- Recommendation No. 204 concerning the Transition from the Informal to the Formal Economy. 2015
- The youth employment crisis : A call for action Resolution and conclusions of the 101st Session of the International Labour Conference, Geneva, 2012
- Private Employment Agencies Convention, 1997 (No. 181)
- Employment Policy Convention, 1964 (No. 122)
- Employment Service Convention, 1948 (No. 88)