At a glancePartners
Employers’ Federation of Pakistan (EFP), sports goods industry, industrial/business associations, workers’ organizations and provincial government institutions
Government of Japan through ILO/Japan Fund for Building Social Safety Nets in Asia and the Pacific
Ultimate beneficiaries: Workers and vulnerable groups (e.g. women, youth) in the sports goods manufacturing industry in Sialkot
Intermediate beneficiaries: Sports goods manufacturing businesses in Sialkot
Other beneficiaries: Employers’ organizations, trade unions, governments and business associations
Primarily Sialkot, Pakistan
ObjectivesThe ILO Tripartite Declaration of Principles concerning Multinational Enterprises and Social Policy (MNE Declaration) seeks to maximize the positive contribution which (multinational) enterprises can make to economic and social development and to minimize and resolve the difficulties to which their various operations may give rise. As the only ILO instrument addressed directly to enterprises, it translates principles derived from international labour standards into company operations. But it also addresses governments (home and host countries of MNEs) and social partners to put in place a legislative and policy framework that is conducive to a positive contribution of the private sector to socioeconomic development and decent work.
The instrument promotes social dialogue at all levels, calls for policy coherence and a closer alignment of private sector actions with public development and decent work objectives.
The overall objective of the project is to foster a partnership approach between MNEs and their direct suppliers in advancing socially responsible labour practices.
The project will focus on:
- Strengthening socially responsible labour practices (SRLPs) amongst MNEs and their direct suppliers operating in the Sialkot sports goods manufacturing sector.
- Engaging with MNEs and their suppliers and supply chains operating in the Sialkot sports good manufacturing sector to promote decent work.
- Maximising the positive contribution of foreign direct investment (FDI) and MNEs to inclusive growth and sustainable development in Pakistan.
Main activitiesExploratory study on more and better jobs through socially responsible labour practices in the sports goods industry in Sialkot, Pakistan.
- Develop a sustainable action plan for the project.
- Provide training to the industry and key stakeholders on MNE Declaration, Fundamental
- Principles and Rights at Work (FPRW) and Occupational Safety and Health (OSH).
- Provide technical assistance to the sports goods industry in Sialkot in areas identified in the exploratory study.
- Support for the establishment of a tripartite plus platform on promoting sustainable and responsible business in the Sialkot sports goods manufacturing sector through consultative workshops, seminars and meetings.
- Engage with MNEs overseas.
- Showcase good labour/CSR practices of the sports goods industry.
- Develop communications tools for awareness-raising and advocacy to implement an advocacy and outreach campaign
- Strengthened understanding and awareness among sports goods producers, task force and constituents of the key elements of the MNE Declaration with particular focus on the FPRW.
- Increased coordination among the stakeholders to promote sustainable and responsible business in the Sialkot sports goods manufacturing sector.