The Seventh Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD 7) took place in Yokohama, Japan, from 28 to 30 August 2019. On this occasion, the ILO organized, with the support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan and the JICA Research Institue, a High-Level Side Event entitled Future of Work Dialogue on Jobs4Youth – A Human-Centered Agenda to Boost Investment and Productivity in Africa on August 29, 2019 from 15:30 to 17:00, with more than 100 participants.
Reflecting on the ILO Centenary Declaration for the Future of Work, which centers on the human-centered approach, the panel discussion of the event revolved around investments, in particular infrastructure investments, in strategic sectors of economies to create decent jobs, develop skills, and enhance productivity for youth in Africa.
The event gathered the following high ranking officials both from national and international institutions: H.E. Ms. Toshiko Abe, State Minister for Foreign Affairs of Japan; H.E. Mr. Ebrahim Patel, Minister of Trade and Industry of the Republic of South Africa; H.E. Mr. Lamin Jobe, Minister of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment of the Republic of The Gambia; Mr. Ibrahim Assane Mayaki, Chief Executive Officer of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD); Ms. Amira Elfadil Mohammed, The Commissioner for Social Affairs of the African Union Commission (AUC); Mr. Maman Sambo Sidikou, Permanent Secretary of G5 Sahel; Ms. Sainabou Jammeh, Managing Director of Community Road Development and Maintenance (CODEM) and the Japan-funded ILO project beneficiary; Ms. Izumi Ohno, Director of the JICA Research Institute; Mr. Guy Ryder, Director-General of the ILO; and Ms. Cynthia Samuel-Olonjuwon, the ILO’s Assistant Director General and Regional Director for Africa.
The event successfully provided a platform for the elaboration of effective policies among a wide range of stakeholders, and to highlight the results of the ILO’s development cooperation projects funded by the Government of Japan.
- Date & Time: 15:30–17:00, Thursday 29th August, 2019
- Venue: F201 Annex, Pacifico Yokohama
- MC: Ms. Cynthia Samuel-Olonjuwon, Assistant Director General and Regional Director for Africa, ILO
- Organizer: International Labour Organization (ILO) Supporter: JICA Research Institute
- Languages:English and Japanese *Simultaneous interpretation to be provided
- Opening Remarks by Mr. Guy Ryder, Director–General, ILO
- Remarks by Ms. Toshiko Abe, State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Japan
- Keynote speech by Mr. Ebrahim Patel, Minister of Trade and Industry, the Republic of South Africa
- Interactive Panel
Moderator: Ms. Izumi Ohno, Director, JICA Research Institute
- Mr. Ibrahim Assane Mayaki, Chief Executive Officer, NEPAD (New Partnership for African Development)
- Ms. Amira Elfadi Mohammed, The Commissioner for Social Affairs, Africa Union Commission (AUC)
- Mr. Maman Sambo Sidikou, Permanent Secretary, G5 Sahel
- Mr. Lamin Jobe, Minister of Trade, Industry, Regional Integration and Employment, The Republic of The Gambia
- Ms. Sainabou Jammeh, Managing Director, CODEM (Community Road Development and Maintenance)
- Open Discussions & Questions from the floor
- Wrap-up by Mr. Guy Ryder, Director–General, ILO