Committee on Sectoral and Technical Meetings and Related Issues
FIRST ITEM ON THE AGENDA
Effect to be given to the recommendations
of sectoral meetings
Tripartite Meeting on Social and
Labour Issues in Small-scale Mines
(Geneva, 17-21 May 1999)
1. The Tripartite Meeting on Social and Labour Issues in Small-scale Mines was held in Geneva from 17 to 21 May 1999, chaired by Mr. Gibson Sibanda (Worker member of the Governing Body).
2. The Meeting considered a report prepared by the International Labour Office entitled "Social and Labour Issues in Small-scale Mines".(1)
3. The Meeting unanimously adopted a set of conclusions on social and labour issues in small-scale mines and a resolution concerning the fundamental Conventions of the International Labour Organization and future activities of the ILO in small-scale mines.
4. These texts, together with a summary of the proceedings of the Meeting, appear in the Note on the proceedings, which is appended to the present paper.(2) Paragraphs 32 to 34 of the conclusions and the operative paragraphs 1 to 3 of the resolution call for certain action by the ILO.
5. The Committee on Sectoral and Technical Meetings and Related Issues may wish to recommend that the Governing Body authorize the Director-General to communicate the Note on the proceedings containing the texts mentioned in paragraph 3 above:
(a) to governments, requesting them to communicate these texts to the employers' and workers' organizations concerned;
(b) to the international employers' and workers' organizations concerned;
(c) to the international organizations concerned.
6. The Committee on Sectoral and Technical Meetings and Related Issues may wish to recommend that the Governing Body request the Director-General to bear in mind, when drawing up proposals for the future work of the Office, the wishes expressed by the Meeting in paragraphs 32 to 34 of the conclusions and relevant parts of the resolution.
Geneva, 11 October 1999.
Points for decision:
Note on the proceedings, TMSSM/1999/10.