In celebration of the UN International Day of Women and Girls in Science scheduled every February, the ILO Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Workforce Readiness and Development Programme in cooperation with the Embassy of the United States, American Spaces and J.P. Morgan, will hold in the Philippines a Filipina STEM Leaders Forum. The Forum seeks to highlight the importance of promoting STEM careers among women and girls and to inspire women in the workplace to flourish and advance in their respective fields. This will be followed by the Special Screening and Career Forum with students of the movie Hidden Figures.
Objectives of the Forum
- Highlighting and recognizing achievements in the world of work of women leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics;
- Gathering support from women leaders in the private sector, government bodies, UN agencies, international agencies, and other relevant stakeholders to collaborate with the ILO in the implementation of the Women in STEM programme in the Philippines;
- Promote career advancement and job opportunities in STEM among women and girls assisted by the ILO Women in STEM programme;
- Connecting and promoting women role models presence in STEM occupations and sectors.
- UN International Day of Women and Girls in Science Forum - a two hour inspirational forum with women tech leaders of IBM, Accenture, Point West Technologies and Women Who Code, on the journey and challenges of women leaders in the workplace
- Hidden Figures Screening with High School Students - A special screening and girl talk with students from senior high schools about the true story of three African-American women mathematicians from NASA who were instrumental in sending the first man to space.
- United Nations Agencies, International Organizations, Government, Women Organizations, ILO social partners, IT companies, donors, think-tanks, media and civil society
Date and venue
22 February 2019/ JP Morgan Auditorium