This year the ILO and its members will celebrate the 90th anniversary of the Organization’s formation in 1919. The ILO is the oldest specialized agency of the United Nations (which was formed in 1946) and the only surviving major creation of the 1919 Treaty of Versailles.
In Asia and the Pacific, as in other regions, ILO 90 will be marked by a wide range of high level activities held during the week of 21 April 2009. These activities will be held under the slogan “90 years working for social justice” and will be organized by the ILO’s tripartite constituents — Governments, workers and employers – with support from the ILO.
Activities in Indonesia
Indonesia and the ILO have collaborated very closely since the country became a member on 12 June 1950. The ILO assists Indonesia to move forward with decent work objectives, through programmes and work in three priority areas:
- Stopping Exploitation at Work
- Employment Creation for Poverty Reduction and Livelihoods Recovery, especially for Youth
- Social Dialogue for Economic Growth and Principles and Rights at Work.
During the week 21 – 30 April, the ILO Jakarta Office will organize several events marking the 90th anniversary of the ILO. The main events are as follows:
- Tripartite Talk Plus: “The Role of the ILO in Indonesia”
23 April 2009, Tripartite Room, Ministry of Manpower and Transmigration
- Joint Photo Exhibition - Portrait of the World of Work in Indonesia
23 – 24 April, Lobby of the Ministry of Manpower and Transmigration
- Youth Employment Conference 2009 for Policy Makers and Practitioners
“Promoting Youth Employment: It Is Everyone Business”
23 – 24 April, Borobudur Hotel, Jakarta
- Photo Exhibition – Portrait of the World of Work in Indonesia
20 – 24 April, Menara Thamrin Building, Jakarta
- Series of Special Broadcast Events with SmartFM Network
Youth Entrepreneurship in Surabaya, 16 April 2009
The Impact of Financial Crisis to Indonesian Migrant Workers in Surabaya, 22 April
Tackling Child Trafficking in Medan, 28 April
- National Workshop: Tackling the Avian Flu Epidemic through Workplace Education (in conjunction with the commemoration of the World Safety and Health Day)
28 April, Borobudur Hotel, Jakarta
- SmartFM Radio Clinic: A Special SmartFM session on the ILO
30 April, Smartfm Studio at BBD Plaza, Jakarta
- ILO Futsal Tournament
25 April, Grand Futsal Kuningan, Jakarta
(Participated by 10 futsal teams, including from different government departments, APINDO, unions, media and embassies).