At a glanceImplementation units: ILO and UNESCO
Partners: The Provincial’s People Committee of Quang Nam province and Thua Thien Hue Province on Viet Nam.
Target locations: Quang Nam and Thua Thien-Hue provinces.
Project ObjectivesWhile Quang Nam and Hue provinces experienced rapid tourism growth in the past decade, there have been significant gaps in development between the tourism hubs in the core zones of World Heritage Sites and the less advantaged, rural and mountainous areas.
This Project is built on the continuous support from the United Nations which has focused on Quang Nam, and extends support to Thua Thien-Hue with a main focus on rural and remote areas in the two provinces. The Project will contribute to improving the livelihoods of local communities while ensuring that the use of cultural resources and environment are sustainable.
The project significantly contributes to address the development issues through the following strategies:
- Narrowing the tourism development gaps between coastal and in-land/remote areas;
- Reducing poverty through creating decent work opportunities, increasing incomes and improving livelihoods for local people, especially vulnerable groups;
- Promoting green and environmental friendly tourism products;
- Supporting Human resource development for tourism sector;
- Strengthening the role of cultural and heritage in sustainable development;
- Promoting gender equality.
- Skills and employability of workers and competitiveness of business in tourism sector enhanced, especially most vulnerable groups including local tribal women, for local socio-economic development.
- Promotion and sales of handicrafts locally produced by rural women increased.
- Pro-poor development of the hospitality and travel industry for rural and inland tourism is strengthened.
- Cultural resources for tourism markets preserved and promoted.
- Public awareness of sustainable tourism enhanced.
For further information please contact:Ms Nguyen Thi Huyen
National Program Coordinator
Project on Sustainable and Responsible Tourism in Central Viet Nam
ILO Country Office for Viet Nam
48-50 Nguyen Thai Hoc, Ba Dinh, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Tel: +84 4 3734 0902