BackgroundThe theme of Strategic labour inspection for Decent Work including in global supply chains is proposed for this 7th edition of the ASEAN Labour Inspection Conference. The intention is to assist ASEAN inspectorates in strengthening their strategic approaches to inspection drawing on international labour standards as well as global and ASEAN experiences. In so doing, it is hoped that inspectorates will be better able to maximize the sustained impact of their limited resources towards improving working conditions and reinforcing a path of economic development grounded in the realization of decent work.
The event will be hosted by the Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs of Viet Nam with technical and financial support from the ILO and support of the ASEAN Secretariat. This is the third time the Government of Viet Nam has hosted this Conference.
- Strategic compliance planning for improving decent working conditions, including in global supply chains;
- Methods for understanding the drivers and constraints of non-compliance, including in global supply chains, as a basis for informing strategic inspection action;
- Non-traditional compliance interventions and partnerships for sustainable labour law compliance, including in global supply chains.
Conference ObjectivesAs a result of this conference, senior ASEAN labour inspection officials will:
- Develop their understanding of the ILO's strategic compliance planning methodology, as distinct from traditional enforcement models;
- Improve their knowledge of national and international experiences on strategic labour inspection approaches that have had success in improving decent working conditions, including in global supply chains;
- Adopt a set of Conclusions and Recommendations to guide ASEAN Member States 'inspectorates on improving strategic inspection planning and action to have a greater impact on securing decent working conditions for men and women workers in ASEAN, including in global supply chains. The Recommendations of the 7th ALIC will be submitted through Senior Labour Officials' Meeting (SLOM) to the 25th ASEAN Labour Ministers Meeting (ALMM) in November 2018 for notation.