PurposeThe Knowledge Sharing Workshop brings together trainers from 18 National Educational and EIIP Training Institutions in Africa.
The main objectives of the workshop are:
- To provide a forum for exchanging of teaching/training experiences among the participating institutions and creating learning opportunities between them with regards to their operational setup (of each respective institution), and enhancing labour-based (LB) training skills, as well as contributing to joint research and development activities;
- To share experiences and insights on building/enhancing LB training capacity and self-financing in light of the growing demand for cost efficiency and sustainability of training institutions;
- To host dialogue on how these training institutions can respond to new challenges and opportunities such as (i) Innovations in employment-intensive road surfacing technology; (ii) climate change adaptation works (Green Works) for sustainable development in particular in Soil & Water Conservation (iii) lack of employability, especially among the urban youth; (iv) Integration of employment intensive investment programmes with safety nets and social protection programmes and (v) promotion of large and integrated infrastructure programmes in Africa for inclusive development and jobs creation (vi) implementation of large-scale employment-intensive investment programmes;
- To develop guiding principles and agree on the scope of the review, by various international consultants, of the Guidelines on Capacity Building for Contracting in the Construction Sector-Green Book.
- Share good practices related to curriculum development and training aids, training of trainers, research and development as well as activities related to capacity building in general;
- Introduce innovative road and related infrastructure building techniques and cross-cutting social and environmental issues;
- Review research projects currently taking place in the region and assist in identifying possible areas of joint research among the participating 18 training centres / institutions;
- Review and harmonize the content of the draft reports produced by various international consultants related to the new Guidelines on Capacity Building for Contracting in the Construction Sector;
- Incorporate feedback, comments and good practices received from the trainers / institutions participating in the knowledge sharing workshop in the review of the new guidelines on Capacity Building for Contracting in the Construction Sector.