Measuring financing gaps in social protection for achieving SDG target 1.3: Global estimates and strategies for developing countries
25 November 2019
Social security is a human right but it is not yet a reality. Only 45 per cent of the global population are effectively covered by at least one social protection benefit, while the remaining 55 per cent – as many as 4 billion people – are unprotected. Closing the coverage gap will require additional investments in social protection, which can and should be achieved by increasing the “fiscal space” for social protection.
EMPLOYMENT Working Paper No. 251
Formal salaried employment generation and transition to formality in developing countries. The case of Latin America
21 November 2019
08 November 2019
Measuring recruitment costs
30 October 2019
This set of Guidelines for the collection of statistics for SDG indicator 10.7.1 on reducing recruitment costs, identifies a number of conceptual issues and definitions with respect to measuring recruitment costs borne by an employee as a proportion of monthly income earned in the country of destination. These guidelines have been produced by the ILO and the WB, as co-custodians of SDG Indicator 10.7.1, with the support of the EU funded ILO-REFRAME project and the Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (KNOMAD). They have been validated through a consultative process with National Statistical Offices and, as a result of this process the Inter-Agency and Expert Group on Sustainable Development Goals (IAEG-SDG) moved SDG indicator 10.7.1 from Tier 3 to Tier 2, in October 2019.
Module for countries of origin – Return migrant workers
Measuring recruitment costs of migrant workers (SDG indicator 10.7.1): ILO-World Bank Model PAPI Questionnaire (Short form (Version 3))
29 October 2019
Research Department Working Paper n°52
19 October 2019
Despite several decades of steady growth, Mindanao’s tropical agro-food industry and the pineapple supply chain more specifically are characterized by a relatively large proportion of workers being linked to small-scale production and low-skilled, labour-intensive and poorly paid work. What is the evidence regarding the alignment between economic improvement of the local industry and the quality and terms of employment realized by its workers?
Research Department Working Paper n°51
17 October 2019
The notion that employment can contribute to peace is the explicit backdrop to a large number of employment programmes in conflict-affected states. However, there is lack of knowledge on the links between employment programmes and peace and on which programme designs maximise impact. This research investigates the role played by employment programs in reducing willingness of people to engage in violence in Somalia.
Research Department Working Paper n°50
17 October 2019
The article explores the determinants of participation in the unemployment benefit system in Mauritius, focusing on the role played by eligibility criteria and take-up
Research Department Working Paper n°49
14 October 2019
This article conducts a comparative analysis of unemployment insurance schemes in advanced and emerging economies, with the aim of identifying differences in policy approaches across countries and pointing at possible consequences in terms of policy outcomes.
Research Department Working Paper n°48
09 October 2019
Recent years have seen a remarkable reversal in trade liberalization with the significant raises in tariffs on imports among major G20 economies. This working paper discusses the rationale for these policy shifts, provides an overview of recent measures, especially those implemented by the US administration and presents an overview of the estimated effects on employment as currently presented in the literature. The paper also provides an overview of the specific challenges represented by trade in digital services.