On this page: Interagency working groups on evaluation • Evaluation units of United Nations programmes and agencies • Evaluation units of multilateral development banks • Evaluation units of bilateral development agencies and other governmental agencies • Evaluation societies • Evaluation research organizations • Web resources on evaluation • Internet based discussion groups • Evaluation trainings
- Evaluation Cooperation Group (ECG)
ECG is dedicated to foster collaboration and harmonization of evaluation work among the evaluation units of the multilateral development banks.
- Managing for Development Results (MfDR)
MfDR is an initiative of the presidents of the multilateral development banks that called for better measuring, monitoring and managing for results in a statement issued at the 2002 International Conference on Financing for Development in Monterrey.
- DAC Network on Development Evaluation
The Network on Development Evaluation is a subsidiary body of the Development Assistance Committee (DAC) of the OECD. Its purpose is to increase the effectiveness of international development programmes by supporting robust, informed and independent evaluation. The Network brings together evaluation managers and specialists from OECD development cooperation agencies and multilateral development institutions.
- UN Evaluation Group (UNEG)
The UN Evaluation Group is the coordination group of all UN System evaluation functions. Its objective is to provide a forum for the discussion of evaluation issues within the UN System organizations and to promote simplification and harmonization of evaluation reporting practices among UN agencies.
- UN System Joint Inspection Unit (JIU)
JIU is the only independent external oversight body of the United Nations system mandated to conduct evaluations, inspections and investigations system-wide.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) – Evaluation
- Global Environmental Facility (GEF) – Evaluation Office
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) – Office of Evaluation
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) – Monitoring and Evaluation
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – Evaluation and Policy Analysis Unit
- United Nations (UN) – Office of Internal Oversight Services
- United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) – Evaluations
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – Evaluation
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) – Evaluation Office
- UNDP Global Environment Facility (UNDP/GEF) – Monitoring and Evaluation
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) – Internal Oversight Service
- United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) – Evaluation and Oversight Unit
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) – Evaluation Group
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) – Evaluation and Studies
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) – Monitoring and Evaluation resources
- World Food Programme (WFP) – Evaluation
- African Development Bank (AfDB) – Operations Evaluation (OPEV)
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) – Operations Evaluation
- European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) – Evaluation
- Inter-American Development Bank (IADB) – Office of Evaluation and Oversight
- International Finance Corporation (IFC) – Operations Evaluation Group (OEG)
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) – Independent Evaluation Office (IEO)
- Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) – Operations Evaluation and Audit Office (OEO)
- World Bank Group – Independent Evaluation Group (IEG) (formerly Operations Evaluation Department, OED)
- World Bank Poverty Net
It contains links to Poverty Analysis, Poverty Monitoring, Impact Evaluation, and Poverty and Social Impact Analysis.
- Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) – Evaluation
- Danish Agency for Development Cooperation (DANIDA) – Evaluation of Development
- Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs – Policy and Operations Evaluation Department (IOB)
- European Commission Development Cooperation (EuropeAid) – Evaluation
- Evaluation of EU Activities – Evaluation Website of the European Commission
- French Development Agency (AFD) – Evaluation
- German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ) – Evaluation
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) – Evaluation
- Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (NORAD) – Evaluation
- Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie (OIF) – Evaluations externes
- Swedish Agency for Development Cooperation (SIDA) – Evaluations
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) – Evaluation
- UK Department for International Development (DfID) – Evaluation
- UK Policy Hub – Evaluating Policy
- US Agency for International Development (USAID) – EvalWeb
The number of national and regional evaluation associations and networks is growing rapidly, reflecting a global trend in professionalizing evaluation and giving it greater importance. This listed national and regional associations are only a selection of those with an own website. For a complete and up-to-date list see the website of the International Organisation for Cooperation in Evaluation (IOCE).
- International Association for Impact Assessment (IAIA)
- International Development Evaluation Association (IDEAS)
- International Organisation for Cooperation in Evaluation (IOCE)
National and regional associations
- African Evaluation Association (AfrEA)
- AfrEA Online database of evaluators: http://www.afrea.org/ > Evaluators Directory Search
- American Evaluation Association (AEA)
- AEA Online database of evaluators
- Aotearoa New Zealand Evaluation Association (ANZEA)
- Australasian Evaluation Society (AES)
- Brazilian Evaluation Association (RBA – Rede Brasileira de Avaliação)
- Canadian Evaluation Society (CES)
- Danish Evaluation Society (DES)
- Dutch Evaluation Society (VIDE)
- Finnish Evaluation Society (FES)
- German and Austrian Evaluation Society (DeGEval – Gesellschaft für Evaluation)
- European Evaluation Society (EES)
- French Evaluation Society(SFE – Societé Française de l’Evaluation)
- International Program Evaluation Network (IPEN) (Russian Federation and Newly Independent States)
- Irish Evaluation Network (IEN)
- Israeli Association for Program Evaluation (IAPE)
- Italian Evaluation Society(AIV – Associazione Italiana di Valutazione)
- Japan Evaluation Society (JES)
- Malaysian Evaluation Society (MES)
- Polish Evaluation Society (PTE)
- Monitoring and Evaluation for rural development – America and the Caribbean (PREVAL)
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Systematization Network in Latin America and the Caribbean (ReLAC)
- Nigerian Monitoring and Evaluation Network (ReNSE)
- Quebec Society for programme evaluation (SQEP)
- South African Monitoring and Evaluation Association (SAMEA)
- Spanish Evaluation Society (SEE – Sociedad Española de Evaluación de Políticas Públicas)
- Sri Lanka Evaluation Association (SLEvA)
- Swedish Evaluation Society (SES)
- Swiss Evaluation Society (SEVAL)
- SEVAL Online database of evaluators
- Uganda Evaluation Association (UEA)
- United Kingdom Evaluation Society (UKES)
- United Kingdom Evaluation Society (UKES)
- Wallonian Society for Evaluation (Belgium)
- Active Learning Network for Accountability and Performance in Humanitarian Action (ALNAP)
ALNAP is a sector-wide learning network dedicated to improving the accountability and quality of humanitarian action by sharing lessons, identifying common problems, and, where appropriate, building consensus on approaches.
- Evaluating Capacity Development in Research & Development Organizations (EDC)
The EDC site, managed by the International Service for National Agricultural Research (ISNAR), Netherlands, focuses on developing the capacities and improving the performance of individuals and organizations engaged in rural research and development activities.
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC) – Evaluation Unit
The Evaluation Unit of IDRC (Canada) works in four key activity areas: coordination, tools and methods, capacity building, and information systems. It has developed a number of innovative approaches and methods for evaluation.
- International Research Group on Policy and Programme Evaluation (INTEVAL)
INTEVAL is an international research group that holds meetings every year. It disseminates research work by email and through subgroup meetings during the annual gathering. Research results are published as co-edited books or as part of the Comparative Policy Analysis Series.
- Poverty Action Lab
Poverty Action Lab serves as a focal point for development and poverty research based on randomized trials. The objective is to improve the effectiveness of poverty programs by providing policy makers with clear scientific results that help shape successful policies to combat poverty.
- The Evaluation Center – Western Michigan University
The Evaluation Center is a research and development unit of the Western Michigan University, US. Its purpose is to advance the theory, practice, and utilization of evaluation as applied to education and human services through research, dissemination and instruction.
- Centre for Aid and Public Expenditure (CAPE)
CAPE is a research unit of the UK’s Overseas Development Institute (ODI). It carries out policy-focused research on aid instruments, budget processes and the reform of public expenditure systems. Its ongoing research is translated into practical policy tools and guidelines for use by government practitioners, donor agencies and developing country organisations.
- DAC Evaluation Resource Centre (DERec)
DEReC is an online resource centre managed by the DAC Network on Development Evaluation. Launched in November 2005, DEReC contains development evaluation reports and guidelines published by the Network and its 30 bilateral and multilateral members. DEReC is designed as a one stop shop for use by Network members, NGOs, civil society and other development organisations, researchers, academics and the wider evaluation community to find and access key evaluation publications and reports.
- Digital Resources for Evaluators
This is a privately hosted website that presents a vast compilation of evaluation-related links and resources.
- Enterprise Development Impact Assessment Information Service (EDIAIS)
EDIAIS, managed by WISE Development on behalf of DFID, provides information and expertise in good practice, design and methods of impact assessment in enterprise development.
- Evaluation Francophonie
Evaluation Francophonie provides resources and information on evaluation methods and events for the French speaking world. It intends to facilitate stakeholders’ networking and joint work.
EvaluationWiki was founded in September of 2006 by the non-profit organization Evaluation Resource Institute (ERI). The mission of EvaluationWiki is to make freely available a compendium of up-to-date information and resources to everyone involved in or interested in the science and practice of evaluation.
- Evidence Network
Evidence Network provides information and resources on evidence-based policy and practice and carries out trainings, research and consultancies.
- M & E News
M&E News is a comprehensive news service focusing on developments in monitoring and evaluation methods relevant to development projects and programmes with social development objectives.
- Microfinance Gateway – Impact Assessment Centre
Resource centre on evaluation and impact assessment for microfinance projects with the aim to promote greater understanding of the impacts of microfinance on the lives of the poor and to encourage the use of impact assessments by microfinance providers.
- Online Evaluation Resource Library (OERL)
OERL was developed for professionals seeking to design, conduct, document, or review project evaluations. Its purpose is to collect and make available evaluation plans, instruments, and reports and to provide modules for professional development.
- Performance Assessment Resource Centre (PARC)
PARC provides a vast array of resources on performance assessment (monitoring and evaluation) in international development practice. It supports international efforts to improve performance assessment of development partners in both the South and the North.
- The World Wide Evaluation Information Gateway/ Virtual Library: Evaluation
The Virtual Library: Evaluation is a comprehensive online database of internet resources related to social policy evaluation.
- Europe's Forum on International Cooperation (EUFORIC)– Evaluation Forum
The site provides access to current issues, food for thought and background information on aid evaluation and effectiveness. It displays dossiers, briefings, editorials and other type of information.
ARLIST-L is a multidisciplinary electronic mailing list on the theory and practice of action research.
- Empowerment Evaluation
This is a topical interest group on collaborative, participatory, and empowerment evaluation. Their web site contains the Empowerment Evaluation Blog. Sponsored by the American Evaluation Association.
E-mail based discussion group on evaluation sponsored by the U.K. Evaluation Society.
EvalNet serves as a forum for practitioners and academics interested in evaluation of development projects in Latin America and the Caribbean. Sponsored by the Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE) of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB).
Discussion group on evaluation sponsored by the American Evaluation Association.
An unmoderated global electronic discussion group open to anyone involved or interested in issues related to public sector program evaluation. Sponsored by the American Evaluation Association.
- MandE NEWS mailing list
Mailinglist of evaluators.
- XCeval online discussion group
XCeval is an e-mail discussion group for people interested in issues associated with international and cross-cultural evaluation. Sponsored by The Association of International and Cross-Cultural Evaluators.
- Centre for European Expertise & Evaluation (Eureval-C3E)
The Centre proposes an e-learning training cycle on managing and conducting evaluations for various branches.
- Evaluation of Sustainability: European Conferences and Training Courses (EASY-ECO)
EASY-ECO 2005-2007 is a training and conference programme on evaluations in the specific context of sustainable development organized by seven European research institutes that takes place in various locations throughout Europe. All events are aimed at building capacity for evaluating sustainability and facilitating the exchange of relevant experiences.
- Inter-American Development Bank e-courses
The IDB offers free e-learning courses on “Logical Framework for Project Design”, “Monitoring and Evaluation of Projects” and other topics.
- IMA International – Training for Development Professionals
IMA International is a provider of participative training courses and consultancies with training centres in six countries in Europe, Asia-Pacific and Africa. Participants can obtain a Certificate in Development Management by attending the courses on Development Planning and Management and Monitoring and Evaluation in Development. IMA International also offers tailor-made training courses.
- International NGO Training and Research Centre (INTRAC)
INTRAC offers courses on various issues related to organizational capacity development, including trainings on participatory evaluation, impact assessment and others. Courses are offered in the UK and in many locations around the globe. Main target group are development NGOs.
- International Program for Development Evaluation Training (IPDET)
Annual four week residential training course for development evaluation professionals in Ottawa, Canada, organized by the Independent Evaluation Group (IEG) of the World Bank and the Faculty of Public Affairs and Management at Carleton University.
- Monitoring and Evaluation for Development Activities Training
Annual four-week residential training course for development practitioners in Norwich, UK, organized by the Overseas Development Group (ODG) of the University of East Anglia.
- The Evaluators’ Institute
The US-based Evaluators’ Institute offers short-term residential professional development courses for practicing evaluators of all branches. It has a programme of evaluation certificates for various levels and specializations.