Judgment No. 2704
1. The Director-General's decision of 4 July 2006 is set aside.
2. UNIDO shall pay the complainant 20,000 euros by way of compensation for the denial of a valuable opportunity, as set out under consideration 9.
3. It shall pay him moral damages in the amount of 5,000 euros.
4. It shall also pay him 5,000 euros in costs.
5. The complaint is otherwise dismissed.
"The principle of freedom of association is infringed if a person is subject to a detriment or disability or is discriminated against because of his or her activities within a staff association or [...] within the Staff Council."
injury; general principle; equal treatment; breach; staff union; freedom of association; staff union activity; cause; condition; official