|Name:||Royal Decree No. 48 of 2012 Establishing the Education Council and its System.|
|Subject(s):||Education, vocational guidance and training|
|Type of legislation:||Regulation, Decree, Ordinance|
|Entry into force:|
|Published on:||Al Jarida Al Rasmiyya, 2012-09-10, No. 984
|Bibliography:||Al Jarida Al Rasmiyya, 2012-09-10, No. 984
Legislation on-line in Arabic Oman Legal Network, Oman PDF in Arabic (consulted on 2014-05-27)
|Abstract/Citation:||The Council has jurisdiction to:
1. Set policies governing the exercise of its powers.
2. Set, in collaboration with other specialized councils, general policies for education in its different forms and levels and ensure compliance with the State's overall policies and requirements for comprehensive development - in order to accomplish the Sultanate's cultural, social, economic and scientific goals. It must also follow up on policy implementation.
3. Develop, in collaboration with concerned authorities, a strategy for education in line with overall state policy and follow up on implementation.
4. Evaluate the quality of education in its different forms and levels and take any measures necessary to ensure the quality of its outcomes.
5. Develop education policies, plans and programs which can cope with continuous social change and reflect overall State policy.
6. Develop policies and mechanisms for achieving the continuity of educational outcomes at all levels, including practical, technical, and vocational training.
7. Link the Sultanate's education programs and specializations to the demands of the labour market.
8. Organize admission procedures for the nation's education institutions and, in collaboration with concerned authorities, and determine roll numbers.
9. Approve the establishment of educational institutions of all kinds within the framework of State policy before they are licensed by the relevant authorities.
10. Approve the strategies and plans of higher education institutions and follow up their implementation in collaboration with the relevant authorities.
11. Develop curricula and educational programs, examination and evaluation policies, and modes of management and supervision in order to ensure achievement of the Sultanate's overall education policy.
12. Investigate education problems and difficulties and develop plans and programs to solve them.
13. Study the situation of employees working in the nation's educational institutions and assist them by improving institutional performance.
14. Consider annual reports on institutional performance prepared by the relevant authorities and take appropriate action.
15. Determine administrative penalties to be imposed on educational institutions in accordance with legislation in force within the Sultanate.
16. Encourage and support the preparation and publication of studies related to education and establish close cooperation and exchange with international organizations and educational bodies in other countries.
17. Develop a system for educational documentation in its various forms in accordance with the relevant legal provisions.
18. Supervise the Omani Authority for Academic Accreditation, established under the provisions of Royal Decree No. 54/2010.
19. Propose draft laws on education, provide advice to concerned authorities on all projects submitted by them to the Council, and examine existing laws and regulations for possible updating.
20. Study proposed international agreements relating to education in its different forms and levels and, in collaboration with concerned authorities, review agreements currently in force.
21. Follow up the implementation of Council policies and decisions.
22. Determine the duties of the Secretariat.
23. Approve the Secretariat's organizational structure and the Council's procedures for exercising its powers.
24. Adopt regulations necessary for ensuring work continuity.
25. Approve the Council's annual budget and end-of-year financial statement.
26. Study all issues relating to Council jurisdiction referred by His Majesty the Sultan, the Cabinet, and the education authorities.
27. Prepare an annual report on all the different forms and levels of education and submit it to the Cabinet.
Repeals Royal Decree No. 65 of 1998 Establishing the Education Council.