|Name:||The Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013 (No. 13 of 2013).|
|Subject(s):||Criminal and penal law|
|Type of legislation:||Law, Act|
|Entry into force:|
|Bibliography:||Legislation on-line Ministry of Women and Child Development, India PDF of Act (DOC.NORMES) (consulted on 2013-07-24)
|Abstract/Citation:||This amendment makes important changes to the Penal Code of India with respect to crimes committed against women. Amends the following:
- section 100 of the Penal Code by adding another subsection entitled "seventhly..." concerning the offence of throwing acid;
- adds a new section 166A and 166B concerning public servants disobeying directions under the law and punishment for non-treatment of a victim;
- amends sections 228, 326A (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by acid), 326B (voluntarily throwing or attempting to throw acid), 354 (adds new section 354A, B, C and D concerning sexual harassment, assault or use of criminal force to woman with intent to disrobe, voyeurism, stalking);
- adds new section 370 and 370A concerning trafficking in persons and exploitation of a trafficked persons
- amends sections 375 (rape), 376 (punishment for rape), 376A (punishment for causing death or resulting in persistent vegetative state of victim), 376B (sexual intercourse by husband with wife during separation), 376C (sexual intercourse by a person in authority), 376D (gang rape) and 376E (punishment for repeat offenders).
- section 509 increased the penalty for making words, gestures or acts intended to insult the modesty of a woman from a maximum on one year to a maximum of three years with a fine.
Amends the Protection of Children from Criminal Offences Act by adding a new section 42 and 42A concerning alternate punishments and provides that the Act will not to be in derogation of any other Act.
Also makes consequential amendments to the Code of Criminal Procedure, the Indian Evidence Act.
This Act repeals the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance, 2013 (No. 3 of 2013).