|Name:||Compulsory, Free Universal Basic Education Act, 2004.|
|Subject(s):||Education, vocational guidance and training; Elimination of child labour, protection of children and young persons|
|Type of legislation:||Law, Act|
|Entry into force:|
|Bibliography:||Legislation on-line The House of Representatives, National Assembly, Nigeria PDF of Act (consulted on 2011-08-24)
|Abstract/Citation:||PART I - COMPULSORY, FREE UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION. ETC.
1. Federal Government intervention for uniform and qualitative basic education
2. Right of a child to compulsory, free universal basic education, etc.
3. Services in public primary and junior secondary schools are free of charge
4. Duty of a parent to ensure the education of his child
5. Sections 2 and 3 not applicable to a child resident outside Nigeria
6. Magistrate courts to have jurisdiction over certain offences
PART II - ESTABLISHMENT AND MEMBERSHIP OF THE
UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION COMMISSION. ETC.
7. Establishment and membership of the Universal Basic Education Commission, etc.
S. Tenure of office
9. Functions of the Commission
10. Appointment of Executive Secretary and other staff of the Commission, etc
PART III- FINANCING OF THE UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION
II. Financing of the Universal Basic Education
PART IV - ESTABLISHMENT, ETC OF STATES BASIC EDUCATION BOARD AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT EDUCATION AUTHORITY
12. Establishment of State Universal Basic Education Board
13. Establishment etc, of Local Government Education Authority
14. Repeal of Cap. 271 LFN 1990 and transitional provisions
Repeals the National Primary Education Commission Act (Cap. 271)