Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Above 87°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.
NO open flames. Above 87°C use a closed system, ventilation and explosion-proof electrical equipment.
Use water spray, foam, powder, carbon dioxide. In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.
PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS! STRICT HYGIENE!
Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest.
MAY BE ABSORBED! Dry skin.
Protective gloves. Protective clothing.
Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer for medical attention .
Redness. Blurred vision.
Wear safety spectacles.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Nausea. Vomiting. Drowsiness.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
Do NOT induce vomiting. Refer for medical attention .
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Personal protection: chemical protection suit and filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Ventilation. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
Separated from strong oxidants. Cool. Keep in the dark. Keep in a well-ventilated room.
Physical dangers The vapour is heavier than air and may travel along the ground; distant ignition possible.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on heating and on burning. This produces toxic fumes including sulfur oxides. Reacts violently with strong oxidants such as perchlorates.
Formula: C2H6OS / (CH3)2SO
Molecular mass: 78.1
Boiling point: 189°C Melting point: 18.5°C Relative density (water = 1): 1.1 Solubility in water: miscible Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: 59.4 Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.7 Flash point: 87°C c.c. Auto-ignition temperature: 215°C Explosive limits, vol% in air: 2.6-42.0 Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: -1.35 (calculated)
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is irritating to the eyes and skin. Exposure to high concentrations could cause lowering of consciousness. May accelerate skin absorption of other materials. See Notes.
Inhalation risk No indication can be given about the rate at which a harmful concentration of this substance in the air is reached on evaporation at 20°C.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure Repeated or prolonged contact with skin may cause dermatitis. The substance may have effects on the liver and blood. This may result in impaired functions and lesions of blood cells.
Special attention needed when toxic materials present in Dimethyl sulphoxide because of enhanced skin absorption.
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.