Not combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.
In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.
PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST!
Cough. Sore throat.
Use local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest.
Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower.
Pain. Redness. Blurred vision.
Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Abdominal pain. Burning sensation. Diarrhoea. Nausea. Vomiting. Shock or collapse.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.
Do NOT induce vomiting. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
COPPER(II) SULFATE, PENTAHYDRATE
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION
Physical State; Appearance BLUE SOLID IN VARIOUS FORMS.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on heating. This produces toxic and corrosive fumes including sulfur oxides. The solution in water is a weak acid. Attacks many metals in the presence of water.
Molecular mass: 249.7
Decomposes at 110°C Density: 2.3 g/cm³ Solubility in water, g/100ml at 0°C: 31.7
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its aerosol and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is severely irritating to the eyes and skin. The aerosol is irritating to the respiratory tract. Corrosive on ingestion. Ingestion could cause effects on the blood, kidneys and liver. This may result in haemolytic anaemia, kidney impairment and liver impairment.
Inhalation risk Evaporation at 20°C is negligible; a harmful concentration of airborne particles can, however, be reached quickly when dispersed, especially if powdered.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure Repeated or prolonged inhalation of the aerosol may cause effects on the lungs. Ingestion may cause effects on the liver.
The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. Bioaccumulation of this chemical may occur along the food chain, for example in fish. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.
The apparent melting point caused by loss of crystal water is given.
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.