Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Above 74°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.
NO open flames. Above 74°C use a closed system and ventilation.
Use water spray, powder, foam, carbon dioxide.
PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS!
Shortness of breath.
Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. Artificial respiration may be needed. Refer for medical attention.
Protective gloves. Protective clothing.
Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower. Refer for medical attention .
Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
Rinse mouth. Refer for medical attention .
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: I
Separated from oxidants, metals and food and feedstuffs. Keep in a well-ventilated room.
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION
Physical State; Appearance COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on heating. This produces toxic gases of sulfur oxides. Reacts with oxidants and metals.
Formula: C2H6OS / HSCH2CH2OH
Molecular mass: 78.1
Boiling point: 157°C Melting point: <-100°C Relative density (water = 1): 1.1 Solubility in water: miscible Vapour pressure, kPa at 20°C: 0.13 Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.7 (calculated) Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.002 Flash point: 74°C o.c. Auto-ignition temperature: 295°C Explosive limits, vol% in air: 2.3-18 Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: -0.3 (estimated)
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is irritating to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. The substance may cause effects on the central nervous system.
Inhalation risk No indication can be given about the rate at which a harmful concentration of this substance in the air is reached on evaporation at 20°C.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.