Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Above 87°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed. Risk of fire and explosion on contact with incompatible substances. See Chemical Dangers.
NO open flames. NO contact with incompatible substances. See Chemical Dangers. Above 87°C use a closed system and ventilation.
Use water spray, foam, powder, carbon dioxide. In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.
Garlic odour. Headache. Nausea.
Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest.
Wear safety spectacles.
Rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible).
Remove all ignition sources. Personal protection: protective gloves, protective clothing, safety goggles and filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
Separated from incompatible materials and : see Chemical Dangers. Well closed. Cool. Dry. Keep in the dark. Keep in a well-ventilated room.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on heating and on burning. This produces irritating or toxic fumes and sulfur oxides. Reacts violently with strong oxidants such as perchlorates, strong acids and strong bases. This generates fire and explosion hazard.
Formula: C2H6OS / (CH3)2SO
Molecular mass: 78.1
Boiling point: 189°C Melting point: 18.5°C Relative density (water = 1): 1.1 Solubility in water: miscible Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: 59.4 Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.7 Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.0 Flash point: 87°C c.c. Auto-ignition temperature: 215°C Explosive limits, vol% in air: 2.6-42.0 Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: -1.35 (calculated) Viscosity: 1.95 mm²/s at 20°C
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is mildly irritating to the eyes and skin. Exposure to high concentrations could cause lowering of consciousness. May accelerate skin absorption of other materials. See Notes.
Inhalation risk A harmful contamination of the air will not or will only very slowly be reached on evaporation of this substance at 20°C; on spraying or dispersing, however, much faster.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure The substance defats the skin, which may cause dryness or cracking.
Environmental effects of the substance have been adequately investigated, but no significant effects have been found.
Special attention needed when toxic materials present in Dimethyl sulphoxide because of enhanced skin absorption.
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.