Not combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Contact with moisture or water may generate sufficient heat to ignite combustible materials. Risk of explosion on contact with oxidizing agents.
In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media. In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water. NO direct contact with water.
Cough. Shortness of breath. Sore throat.
Use local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. Refer for medical attention.
Protective gloves. Protective clothing.
Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower. Refer for medical attention .
Severe deep burns.
Wear face shield.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Abdominal pain. Burning sensation. Shock or collapse.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Personal protection: chemical protection suit. Sweep spilled substance into plastic or glass containers. Wash away remainder with plenty of water.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
UN Hazard Class: 8; UN Pack Group: II
Dry. Well closed. Separated from combustible substances, acids, strong oxidants, metals and food and feedstuffs.
Chemical dangers Reacts violently with water. This generates heat. The substance is a strong base. It reacts violently with acid and is corrosive to metals. Attacks many metals. This produces flammable/explosive gas (hydrogen - see ICSC 0001).
Molecular mass: 149.91
Melting point: 272°C Density: 3.68 g/cm³ Solubility in water, g/100ml at 15°C: 395 (very good)
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is corrosive to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. Corrosive on ingestion.
Inhalation risk A harmful concentration of airborne particles can be reached quickly when dispersed.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS
TLV: 2 mg/m3, as TWA
Caesium hydroxide in solution: UN 2681; UN Hazard class:8; UN Packgroup: II,III; Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-80GC5-II+III.
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.