Flammable. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. Above 32°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed. Risk of fire and explosion. See Chemical Dangers.
NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking. Above 32°C use a closed system, ventilation and explosion-proof electrical equipment. Do NOT expose to friction or shock.
Use powder, AFFF, foam, carbon dioxide. In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.
PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS! AVOID ALL CONTACT!
Cough. Headache. Nausea. Sore throat.
Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.
MAY BE ABSORBED! Redness. Serious skin burns. Pain. Further see Inhalation.
Protective gloves. Protective clothing.
Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer for medical attention .
Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Further see Inhalation.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Personal protection: chemical protection suit.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Subsidiary Risks: 3 and 8; UN Pack Group: II
Fireproof. Separated from strong oxidants, strong acids and food and feedstuffs. Keep in the dark. Well closed. Store only if stabilized.
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION
Physical State; Appearance COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH PUNGENT ODOUR.
Chemical dangers The substance violently polymerizes. This generates fire or explosion hazard. May decompose explosively on shock, friction or concussion. Decomposes on heating and on burning. This produces toxic fumes of cyanide and nitrogen oxides. Reacts violently with strong oxidants.
Formula: C7H7N / H2C=CHC5H4N
Molecular mass: 105.14
Boiling point: 159-160°C Relative density (water = 1): 1.00 Solubility in water: moderate Vapour pressure, kPa at 44.5°C: 1.33 Flash point: 42°C Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 1.39
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance may cause effects on the skin. This may result in delayed burns. The substance is severely irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract.
Inhalation risk No indication can be given about the rate at which a harmful concentration of this substance in the air is reached on evaporation at 20°C.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure Repeated or prolonged contact may cause skin sensitization.
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS
An added stabilizer or inhibitor can influence the toxicological properties of this substance, consult an expert.
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.