|MERCURIC OXIDE||ICSC: 0981|
|Mercury (II) oxide||April 2014|
|CAS #: 21908-53-2|
| UN #: 1641
|EC Number: 244-654-7
|ACUTE HAZARDS||PREVENTION||FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE & EXPLOSION||Not combustible but enhances combustion of other substances. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO contact with reducing agents.||In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.|
|Inhalation||Cough. Sore throat.||Avoid inhalation of dust. Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer for medical attention .|
|Eyes||Redness.||Wear safety goggles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Abdominal pain. Nausea. Vomiting. Diarrhoea.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .|
|SPILLAGE DISPOSAL||CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING|
|Consult an expert! Personal protection: chemical protection suit. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Do NOT absorb in saw-dust or other combustible absorbents.||
According to UN GHS Criteria
Fatal if swallowed
Toxic in contact with skin
May cause damage to kidneys
May cause damage to nervous system and kidneys through prolonged or repeated exposure
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|Separated from food and feedstuffs, reducing agents, chlorine and reactive substances. See Chemical Dangers. Keep in the dark. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Well closed.|
Put breakable packaging into closed unbreakable container.
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Severe marine pollutant.
|MERCURIC OXIDE||ICSC: 0981|
|PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION|
Physical State; Appearance
|EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS|
Routes of exposure
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS|
TLV: (as Hg): 0.025 mg/m3, as TWA; (skin); A4 (not classifiable as a human carcinogen); BEI issued.
EU-OEL: (as Hg): 0,02 mg/m3 as TWA.
MAK: (as Hg, inhalable fraction): 0.02 mg/m3; peak limitation category: II(8); skin absorption (H); sensitization of skin (SH); carcinogen category: 3B; pregnancy risk group: D
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. Bioaccumulation of this chemical may occur in aquatic organisms. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
|Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
Do NOT take working clothes home.
Red and Yellow mercuric oxide are common names.
Mercury is a common ingredient found in some skin lightening soaps and creams. Long-term use of such products may cause kidney damage, skin rashes, scarring, as well as anxiety, depression or psychosis and peripheral neuropathy.
Symbol: T+, N; R: 26/27/28-33-50/53; S: (1/2)-13-28-45-60-61; Note: A, 1
|All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.|