|Document ID (ISN)||57764|
|ISSN - Serial title
||0820-3946 - Canadian Medical Association Journal
|Convention or series no.
||Sankaran K., Roles A., Kasian G.
||Fire in an intensive care unit - Causes and strategies for prevention
||15 Aug. 1991, Vol.145, No.4, p.313-315. Illus. 16 ref.
||Two nearly disastrous fires occurred in 1988 within 4 days of each other in the neonatal intensive care unit of a university hospital. A multifactorial theory was tested and demonstrated to explain the fire. Due to a pressure difference and other factors, oxygen-rich air streamed through electrical sockets into sealed cabinets containing electrical wires and pipes for oxygen and compressed air. The air flowing through the sockets also carried small amounts of lint which accumulated inside the electrical boxes and cabinets. A spark from an isolette plug ignited the oxygen and lint. Renovation of the unit ensured that the cabinets are no longer sealed and are left open to the ambient air. The re-design allows lint and spilled materials to be cleaned up. The electrical sockets are now above rather than below the oxygen outlets.
||fire; hospitals; fire hazards
||air movement; Canada; Saskatchewan; oxygen; case study; electrical equipment; fire prevention; electric sparks
||D - Periodical articles
|Country / State or Province||Canada|
||Fire and explosions
|Broad subject area(s)
||Fires, explosions and major hazards
||Health care services