ILO Home
Go to the home page
Site map | Contact us Français | Español

CISDOC database

Document ID (ISN)23843
CIS number 75-1700
ISSN - Serial title Zentralblatt für Arbeitsmedizin und Arbeitsschutz
Year 1975
Convention or series no.
Author(s) Reinhardt J., Kittner E.
Title Occupational dental disease due to acids
Original title Berufsbedingte Säureschäden der Zähne [in German]
Bibliographic information Mar. 1975, Vol.25, No.3, p.72-75. Illus.
Abstract Statistical analysis, by industrial sector, sex and length of exposure of 1,016 cases notified between 1971 and 1973 in the Fed.Rep. of Germany. 90% of the dental decay was due to organic acids (bakers' caries), most of the cases being found among workers in bakeries, pastry and confectionery establishments, and flour mills. The other 10% of dental decay cases was due to inorganic acids used in various industries. The article examines the aetiology of dental decay due to organic acids, dietary habits being considered the prime cause of caries. Description of the causes and signs of dental damage due to inorganic acids. Because microbial action is involved in bakers' caries, whereas dental disease due to mineral acid is caused by a decalcification process, the signs and location of dental decay are different in the 2 cases.
Descriptors (primary) bakery products industry; milling industry; diseases of teeth; acids
Descriptors (secondary) dental erosion; Germany (Federal Republic of); statistics; inorganic acids; organic acids; dental caries
Document type -
Subject(s) Occupational pathology
Broad subject area(s)
Browse category(ies) Mouth and teeth diseases
Organic acids
Inorganic acids
Food industry