Facts & Figures
- The Arab region has the world’s lowest rate of female labour force participation - 18.4 percent compared to the global average of 48 per cent. By contrast, male labour force participation rates, at 77 per cent, are above the global average of 75 percent.
- Female unemployment in the Arab states is at 15.6 percent – three times higher than the world average.
- Women in managerial positions are low in the region, with only 11 percent of women holding managerial positions as compared to the world average of 27.1 percent.
- Unpaid childcare work result in women spending almost five times more hours than men on unpaid care work.
International Labour Standards
- Equal Remuneration Convention, 1951 (No. 100)
- Discrimination (Employment and Occupation) Convention, 1958 (No. 111)
- Workers with Family Responsibilities Convention, 1981 (No.156)
- Maternity Protection Convention, 2000 (No. 183)
- Violence and Harassment Convention, 2019
Publications & Reports
This report is the culmination of the extensive and often ground-breaking work undertaken in the ILO’s Women at Work Centenary Initiative. It is closely aligned with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.