World Youth Skills Day

Quality apprenticeships for young people in Burkina Faso

150 young apprentices trained thanks to the project Support to the Global Initiative for Decent Youth Employment in the Sahel, whose primary objective is to promote quality apprenticeship systems and youth employment.

News | 15 July 2021
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso – Clémentine, Yaya, Souleymane, and Aboni are among 150 young apprentices who have joined a one-year technical training programme to learn two distinct but complementary trades. The first trade involves masonry techniques for construction, while the second focuses on building electricity. These are promising fields in the Burkinabé job market and they also generate employment.

Through this project, the International Labour Office (ILO) aims to address skills mismatches and youth unemployment through concrete actions related to the key elements of quality learning. Thus, the ILO seeks to improve and strengthen the Burkinabé system, while collaborating with local bodies such as the Ministry of Youth and the Promotion of Youth Entrepreneurship.

The young apprentices benefited from training that alternated between theoretical and practical courses. On average, they were taught theory 25 per cent of the time in the vocational training centres, while the remaining 75 per cent was spent on in-company training, with hands-on activities. This type of training familiarises young people with the real world of work and develops the technical skills needed to do their job.

It was interesting to get away from theory and get down to practice,” says Yaya.

Watch the video: Young apprentices from the construction sector in Burkina Faso tell their stories. Yaya’s testimony

The Association des Ouvriers du Bâtiment et des Travaux Publics (AO BTP), the Ecole Polytechnique Privée du Faso (E2PF) and the Centre de Formation Professionnelle de Référence de Ziniaré (CFPRZ), are the three Burkinabé structures that provided training for these young people, who come from the municipality of Ouagadougou and its peripheral areas.

After one year, in September and October 2020, the training managers who welcomed the 150 young people, proceeded to organise graduation ceremonies under the presidency of the Ministry of Youth and the Promotion of Youth Entrepreneurship. This was an opportunity for the Burkinabé authorities to thank the ILO for launching the Decent Youth Employment Project in the Sahel region, and in particular in Burkina Faso, in 2018.

“I am proud of myself for having received the diploma and I thank this training that has allowed me to have the job I always dreamed of,” says Clementine.
Thanks to their motivation and their desire to learn a job with a future, the young people completed their training and received their diploma, despite being stopped for more than a month due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This experience gave the young graduates exposure to the real world of work and the skills currently in demand by employers. As Yaya says, “This is just the beginning, the diploma is not the end, but thanks to this training we are on the way to build our future.”

Watch the video: Young apprentices from the construction sector in Burkina Faso tell their stories. Clementine's testimony

Additional resources: Youth Employment in the Sahel Region