The ILO Department of Statistics aims to:
- provide relevant, timely and comparable labour statistics,
- develop international standards for better measurement of labour issues and enhanced international comparability, and
- help member States develop and improve their labour statistics.
To achieve these goals, the Department focuses on three major activities:
- compiling and producing labour statistics, which are disseminated through ILOSTAT,
- setting international standards for labour statistics through the International Conference of Labour Statisticians (ICLS), and
- providing technical cooperation, assistance and training in labour statistics.
Standard-setting work currently includes:
- Review of the International Classification of Status in Employment (ICSE-93)
- Statistics on cooperatives
- Follow-up to existing standards through the LFS pilot study programme, which supports national implementation of the 19th ICLS