Committee on Sectoral and Technical Meetings and Related Issues
FOURTH ITEM ON THE AGENDA
Effect to be given to the recommendations
of sectoral meetings
(c) Tripartite Meeting on Technology and Employment
in the Food and Drink Industries
(Geneva, 18-22 May 1998)
1. The Tripartite Meeting on Technology and Employment in the Food and Drink Industries was held in Geneva from 18 to 22 May 1998, chaired by Mr. Khurshid Ahmed (Worker member of the Governing Body).
2. The Meeting considered a report prepared by the International Labour Office, entitled Technology and employment in the food and drink industries.(1)
3. The Meeting unanimously adopted a set of conclusions on employment and technology in the food and drink industries. It also adopted four resolutions concerning:
4. The first three resolutions were adopted unanimously and the fourth by consensus, with a reservation expressed by the representative of the Government of India regarding the request for the Office to carry out a study on child labour.
5. These texts, together with a summary of the proceedings of the Meeting, appear in the Note on the proceedings,(2) which is appended. In addition to the resolution on the future activities of the ILO, paragraphs 17 to 19 of the conclusions and operative paragraphs in each of the three other resolutions call for certain action by the Office.
6. The Committee on Sectoral and Technical Meetings and Related Issued may wish to recommend that the Governing Body authorize the Director-General to communicate the Note on the proceedings containing the texts mentioned in paragraph 3 above:
7. The Committee on Sectoral and Technical Meetings and Related Issues may wish to recommend that the Governing Body request the Director-General to bear in mind, when drawing up proposals for the future programme of work of the Office, the wishes expressed by the Meeting in paragraphs 17-19 of the conclusions and in the relevant parts of the resolutions.
Geneva, 6 October 1998.
Points for decision:
[Note on the proceedings]