The International Labour and Employment Relations Association (ILERA) was established in 1966 and its general purpose is to promote the study of labour and employment relations throughout the world in the relevant academic disciplines, by such means as:
- encouraging the establishment and development of national associations of industrial relations specialists;
- facilitating the spread of information about significant developments in research and education in the field of industrial relations;
- organising worldwide and regional congresses;
- and promoting internationally planned research, by organising study groups on particular topics.
Today the Association has over 1,000 members worldwide including prominent industrial relations scholars and practitioners and 34 national associations and 1 regional association who together form the ILERA Council.
An ILERA World Congress is convened every 3 years, where professionals interested in all aspects of labour and employment relations meet to share ideas about new developments, ideas and practices in the field. The last ILERA World Congress took place in Cape Town, South Africa from 7 to 11 September 2015 and the next one will be helt in Korea in 2018.
ILERA also organizes, through its national affiliates, regional congresses. In 2016, the 11th European Regional Congress will take place in Milano, Italy from 8 to 10 September 2016, under the general theme "The future of Representation". Also in 2016, the China Association for Labour Studies will organize the 9th Asian Regional Congress (more news will follow). In 2017, the regional congresses for the Americas and Africa will be held in Mexico and in Kinshasa, DRC.
The second edition of the Luis Aparicio Prize took place this year. After a call for nominations, 13 very qualified nominations were received. The selection committee, chaired by Prof. Anil Verma, finally decided that the prize would go to Chris F. Wright, from Australia.
The aim of the ILERA is of a purely scientific character, without regard to political, philosophic or religious considerations. The Association does not endorse opinions on policy questions.
The secretariat of the association is located in the Governance and Tripartism Department of the International Labour Office in Geneva, Switzerland.
Send your comments and corrections to: email@example.com
Save the dates
- Eighteenth ILERA World Congress, COEX, Seoul, South Korea, 23-27 July 2018
- 11th European Regional Congress, Milano, Italy, 8-10 september 2016
- 9th Asian Regional Congress, China, 1-3 November 2016
- 8th ILERA African Regional Congress, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, 21-25 August 2017
- 9th ILERA Regional Congress for the Americas, Mexico, 2017
2015 LUIS APARICIO PRIZE WINNER
News from Council members
ILERA BOOK SERIES
- Stefania Marino et al.'s "Trade Unions, Immigration and Immigrants was chosen as the winner of the first issue of the ILERA book series. The first manuscript is expected mid 2016.