BackgroundHow can microfinance institutions (MFIs) help improve working conditions? How can they contribute to job creation? And how can MFIs help reduce child labour? Should MFIs have an interest in addressing these and other decent work deficits? Could this even be done cost effectively and to the benefit of the institution as well as its clients?.
The ProjectIn Indonesia, the ILO Jakarta Office, Social Finance programme in Geneva, OSH expert in regional office, together with Institute of Teknologi Surabaya (ITS) and Bank UMKM BPR Jatim decided to test the impact of OSH improvement to the welfare of the clients of Bank UMKM Jatim and consequently a long term sustainable engagement with the Bank.
The target clients would be trained in safety education through adaption of WISE (Work Improvements in Small Enterprises) methodology. The innovation would try to build on local practice, encourage exchange of experience among clients and promote their involvement. The aim would be to gradually integrate it into the Bank UMKM Jatim services. The target group initially includes selected sample of active clients of Bank UMKM in a particular sector in a district in East Java.
The innovation would result in improved Occupational Safety and Health impact on the Client. With improved awareness on occupational health the clients would be more prepared and less vulnerable to occupational hazards. The productivity of the clients will be enhanced, thus resulting in improvement in the relationship between the client and Bank UMKM Jatim.
The expected results that would flow from the interventions are:
- Reduced Occupational Health Hazards of Clients;
- Improved Safety at workplace;
- Reduced expenses on treatment of injuries / hazards / occupational illnesses; and
- Improved Productivity Levels.
ObjectivesThe 3 days ToT programme aims at providing the participants with:
- the background, objective and content the Innovation Project as well as rationale and principles of the action-oriented training methodology;
- a sound knowledge of the technical topics covering typical areas of concern to small and medium-sized enterprises in terms of safety and health at work and productivity;
- practical advice and tips on how to conduct effectively the training for the clients, the development of action plans and the follow-up; and
- a set of training materials that can be used directly or with minor modifications in the training of clients.