The MDF-funded UNDP/ILO Project ‘Creating Jobs: Capacity Building for Local Resource-based Road Works in Selected Districts in Aceh and Nias’ has been implemented since March 2006. The Project was designed to respond to the needs to increase implementation capacities in reconstructing essential infrastructure following the disasters in Aceh and Nias. The overall objective of the Project is to contribute to the recovery and reconstruction of Aceh and Nias by integrating capacity building activities with road construction works in selected districts. Its specific purposes are to improve road connectivity, boost local employment, contribute to overall economic recovery and build institutional and technical capacities of the involved parties.
The Project has been able to deliver the planned physical outputs at a high quality, within the foreseen time-frame, and in a very cost-effective way, using appropriate labor-based technologies and approaches. In parallel with the construction works, substantial capacity building activities were undertaken, focusing on strengthening the capacities of the local contractors and the responsible agencies (Public Works Office) in the districts regarding the planning, preparation, contracting, implementation and supervision of the works.
As the Project approaching its completion, per the mandate of the MDF, a national seminar will be held to showcase and share the achievements of the Project. In specific, the objectives of the Seminar are:
- To showcase and share the achievements of the Project and its implementation challenges.
- To share the lessons learned and best practices of the Project, and to advocate for their mainstreaming and replication in Indonesia.
- To disseminate the products of the Project (guidelines, manuals, models, systems) and to advocate for their adaptation by the relevant stakeholders.
- Awareness of key policy makers at national level is raised regarding the importance of employment creation through effective asset investment strategy and management;
- A set of specific recommendations regarding road investment (including maintenance) strategy and tools to support decision making process for infrastructure investment;
- A set of specific recommendations for replication and mainsreaming of LRB approaches and technologies at national level; and
- A set of specific recommendations for knowledge sharing of the lessons learned and best practices of the Project.