The ILO office has been providing technical assistance to Pakistan at different levels to promote employment as a means to poverty alleviation. At the policy level, the ILO extended technical support to the Ministry of Labour and social partners in developing a national employment policy, helping the Ministry of Planning to look into ways and means to improve the employment intensity of public works programmes.
Similarly at the provincial level the ILO’s support to the Departments of Labour include reviving and revitalizing public employment services by registering and matching unemployed people to job opportunities. At the grassroots level, the ILO is implementing demonstration projects that are creating employment opportunities for the vulnerable groups primarily in rural but also in urban settings where poverty is prevalent. The ILO helped the Ministry of Labour in establishing a Labour Market Information and Analysis Unit. This Unit is developing and disseminating reports on employment trends in Pakistan that inform policies and programmes for employment promotion in the country.
The ILO’s recent assistance to Pakistan for employment promotion includes:
- Contribution to the development of PRSP and MTDF documents;
- Capacity development of the Planning Commission in conducting research on poverty-employment nexus;
- Developing capacity of the Ministry of Labour, social partners and other stakeholders in the area of Labour Market Information and Analysis;
- Technical assistance for preparation of the National Employment Policy;
- Providing advisory services to the national committee for the improvement of Labour Force Survey (LFS) of Pakistan; and
- Employment promotion in the post-crises situations.