The UN Global Compact asks companies to embrace, support and enact a set of core values in the areas of human rights, labour standards, the environment and anti-corruption.
With regard to the Labour Principles, participating companies are asked to:
- uphold freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- uphold the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- uphold the effective abolition of child labour;
- uphold the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
This one-day, multi-stakeholder, multi-sector meeting of the UN Global Compact Labour Working Group will introduce participants to approaches in tackling child labour and highlight opportunities for further collaboration. It will also provide an opportunity to discuss the Child Labour Platform as a new workstream of the UN Global Compact Labour Working Group.
Companies and other stakeholders interested in joining the Child Labour Platform are kindly requested to register for the meeting with Benjamin Smith, ILO-IPEC at firstname.lastname@example.org . Final deadline for registration: Friday 6 April 2012. The agenda for the meeting will be available soon.
The Global Compact Labour Working Group is co-chaired by the Secretary-General of the International Organisation of Employers (IOE) and the General Secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC), and supported by the International Labour Office (ILO). Its mandate is to:
- Raise the profile, relevance of, and respect for the four labour principles among UN Global Compact companies and networks.
- Help ensure a consistent approach is taken to the application and understanding of the four principles, drawing on ILO, ITUC, and IOE information and experience.
- Develop tools, information exchange, and forums for UN Global Compact companies’ engagement on the four labour principles.