INTEGRATION/POLICY COHERENCE GROUP
+41 22 799 6927
+41 22 799 6201
Aurelio Parisotto is a Senior Economist at the Policy Integration Department of the ILO. His current interests are the economic and social implications of the global financial crisis, policies for economic and employment recovery, local economic development and pro-poor growth. An ILO official since 1994, Mr. Parisotto worked also at UNCTAD and at the International Institute for Labour Studies in Geneva. He was a member of the technical secretariat of the World Commission on the Social Dimension of Globalization in 2002-2004 and senior specialist in the ILO Subregional Office for South-East Asia and the Pacific from 2004-2007. He contributed to several major reports by the ILO, UNCTAD and the United Nations. His research work on globalization and regional integration, foreign investment and transnational production networks, employment and labour markets has been published by the ILO, OECD, UNCTAD, the World Bank and commercial publishers. Mr. Parisotto studied economics at the University of Modena, Italy and Oxford, UK.
Educational and professional background
- Christ Church College, University of Oxford, UK, courses in Economics, Academic year, 1984-1985.
- Facoltà di Economia e Commercio, Università di Modena, Italy. Degree in Economics with honours (1976-1983).
Work in progress
- Economic and social implications of the global financial crisis
- Policies for economic and employment recovery in Asia (Indonesia, Pakistan, Philippines and South Pacific)
- Local economic development and pro-poor growth
- ILO focal point for the UN System Joint Crisis Initiative on a Global Jobs Pact
- International Labour Office (ILO) Subregional Office for South East Asia and the Pacific, Manila. Senior Enterprise Development Specialist
- World Commission on the Social Dimension of Globalization, Geneva, Member of the Secretariat
- International Institute for Labour Studies, Geneva, Senior researcher and Research Coordinator a.i.
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Geneva., Economic Affairs Officer, Division on Transnational Corporations and Investment
- International Labour Office (ILO), Geneva, Research Officer
- Job-rich Growth in Asia: Strategies for Local Employment, Skills Development and Social Protection (with Cristina Martinez-Fernandez, Sylvain Guiguere and Kees Van der Ree), OECD, Paris, 2011.
- “Building Employment and Decent Work into Sustainable Recovery and Development – The UN Contribution” (ed.), Second United Nations Decade for the Eradication of Poverty, ILO, Turin, December 2010
- “The impact of the global financial and economic crisis on employment and social development and policy responses”, background paper for the ILO seminar on “The economic crisis and the Global Jobs Pact”, ILO, Turin, November 2009.
- Local Economic Development (LED) Tools and Approaches for Local Employment Generation, Peace and Security (editor), ILO Sub-regional Office for South East Asia and the Pacific, Manila. 2008.
- Regionalization and Labour Market Interdependence in East and South-East Asia, (co-edited with with Duncan Campbell, Asma Lateef and Anil Verma), London, MacMillan 1997.
- Multinationals and Employment: the Global Economy of the 1990s (co-edited with Paul Bailey and Geoffrey Renshaw). ILO, Geneva, 1993.
Chapters (in edited books)
- “Economic recovery and labour market adjustment in developing Asia”, in Job-rich Growth in Asia: Strategies for Local Employment, Skills Development and Social Protection, OECD, Paris, 2011.
- “Global production and local jobs: Can global enterprise networks be used as levers for local development?” (with Florence Palpacuer), in E. Rhodes, J. Warren and R. Carter (eds.), Supply Chains and Total production Systems: A Reader, Blackwell, Oxford, 2006.
- “The context of fair globalization”, in A. Trebilcock (ed.), Labour and Employment Implications of the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement, ILO, Geneva, 2005.
- “Economic globalization and the demand for decent work”, in R. Blanpain (ed.) The ILO and the Social Challenges of the XXIst Century, Bulletin of Comparative Labour Relations, Kluwer, the Hague, 2001.
- "Transnational corporations and the emerging global media markets", in Y. Aharoni (ed.) Changing Role of State Intervention in Services in an Era of Open International Markets, New York State University Press, New York, 1997.
- "Recent trends in employment in transnational corporations", in R. Alter (ed.) Foreign Direct Investment and Employment, OECD, Paris, 1995.
- "Direct employment in multinational enterprises in industrialized and developing countries in the 1980s: Main characteristics and recent trends", in P. Bailey, A. Parisotto and G. Renshaw (eds.), Multinationals and Employment: The Global Economy of the 1990s, ILO, Geneva, 1993.
- "Multinational enterprises: What role can they play in employment creation in developing countries" (with Paul Bailey), in OECD, The Changing Course of International Migration, Paris, March 1993.
- "The distinctive pattern of non-agricultural self-employment in Italy", in Felstead, A. and Leighton, P. (eds.), The New Entrepreneurs: Self-employment and Small Business in Europe, Kogan & Page, London, 1992.
- “Global production and local jobs: Can global enterprise networks be used as levers for local development?” (with Florence Palpacuer), in Global Networks, April 2003, Vol. 3, issue 2.
- "Prospettive ambientali e tendenze competitive sul mercato italiano del Leasing" [The competitive environment in the Italian market for financial leasing], Amministrazione e Finanza, Volume III, No. 13, IPSOA, Milano, 1986.
- "Rassegna anagrafica delle ricerche sul mercato del lavoro in Emilia-Romagna, 1980-1981" [Survey of research on the labour market in Emilia-Romagna] (with G. Nobile). Supplemento ai Quaderni Regionali sul Mercato del Lavoro, Bologna, 1983.
Contribution to major reports
- Growth, Employment and Decent Work in the Least Developed Countries, ILO, Geneva, 2011.
- The Challenges of Growth, Employment and Social Cohesion, ILO-IMF, Geneva, September 2010.
- “Recovering from the crisis: A Global Jobs Pact”, Secretary General’s report, United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Substantive Session, 23 June-10 July 2010.
- “Emerging issues: Policy responses on employment and the social consequences of the financial and of the economic crisis, including its gender dimension”, Secretary General’s Report, United Nations Commission for Social Development, 48th Session, New York, February 2010.
- Getting people back to work, chapter 2 of the Bappenas/World Bank technical report on “Notes on Reconstruction: The December 26, 2004 Natural Disaster” for the Consultative Group on Indonesia, January 19-20, 2005.
- Decent Work in South-East Asia and the Pacific, Report to the 2nd Subregional Tripartite Forum on Decent Work in South-East Asia and the Pacific, Melbourne, Australia, April, 2005.
- A Fair Globalization: Creating Opportunities for All, Report of the World Commission on the Social Dimension of Globalization, ILO, Geneva, 2004
- Decent Work, Report of the ILO’s Director-General to the International Labour Conference, June, 1999
- World Investment Report 1994: Transnational Corporations, Employment and the Workplace. UNCTAD, Geneva, 1994.
- The Promotion of Self-employment, Report VII, International Labour Conference, 77th Session, June, 1990.