Migrant workers and COVID-19
- Join the ILO Global Webinar on Migrant Workers and COVID-19
- Read the press release: ILO warns of COVID-19 migrant ‘crisis within a crisis’
- Watch the video message from ILO Director General Guy Ryder: ‘Migrant workers among the hardest hit by COVID-19 pandemic’
- Watch the video message from ITUC Secretary General Sharan Burrow: ‘Migrant workers deserve equal treatment during COVID-19 pandemic’
- Watch the video message from IOE Secretary General Roberto Suarez Santos: ‘Sustainable migration policies needed to help migrants and businesses during pandemic’
Annual meetings of the IMF and World Bank
16 October 2020
In written statements to the annual meetings of the IMF and the World Bank, ILO Director-General Guy Ryder warned against higher levels of poverty and inequality resulting from the COVID-19 crisis. Highlighting the urgent need for social protection for all, he called for profound structural changes to build back better and faster.
14 October 2020
This video highlights the context and trends of labour migration in the Guatemala to Mexico corridor, with a focus on preventing and reducing unscrupulous practices during recruitment.
13 October 2020
Assessments show spike in job and income losses and limited financial capacities to deal with the crisis, making it even harder for vulnerable workers to earn a living.
5-9 October 2020
7 September–11 October 2020
Policies and programmes
Our database provides a non-exhaustive list of current good practices implemented at the country level.
21 July 2020
22 June 2020
05 December 2018
Policy coherence paper
General practical guidance on promoting coherence among employment, education/training and labour migration policies
20 December 2017
International Labour Conference
Conference paper | 10 April 2017
22 February 2016
Migrants make significant and essential contributions to the economic, social and cultural development of their host countries and their communities back home. But too often these contributions go unrecognized..."Guy Ryder, ILO Director-General