Global Employment Trends 2013: Facts and figures for North Africa
- Unemployment rose to 10.3 per cent in 2012, among the highest levels of all regions.
- In 2012, the male youth unemployment rate was more than three times that for male adults and the female youth rate was more than six times that for adult men.
- Almost 20 per cent of workers live with the families on less than US$2 a day.
- A high proportion of workers are in the informal sector without adequate social protection.
- For 2011-17, workers are projected to move from high-to low-productivity sectors rather than the other way round, thereby contributing negatively to growth. (See 2nd chart below)
Mouse over the charts to see the values