Adopted by a Meeting of Experts in November 2013, the Guidelines set out principles for the promotion of decent work for early childhood education (ECE) personnel as a means of ensuring universal access to high-quality ECE services.
ILO, UNESCO, OECD and World Bank website exploring the link between education and training and decent and productive employment.
ILO Director-General Guy Ryder condemns the abduction of Nigerian schoolgirls, and calls for the protection of students, teachers and schools in the conflict with militants.
Statement for World Teachers' Day 2013
On World Teachers' Day, October 5, the ILO salutes teachers and commits to supporting their key role in building the citizens and societies of the future, says Guy Ryder, the ILO's Director-General.
Standards and tools
Particularly relevant International Labour Standards
- ILO/UNESCO Recommendation concerning the Status on Teachers, 1966
- UNESCO Recommendation concerning the Status of Higher Education Teaching Personnel, 1997
- C87 Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to Organize Convention, 1948
- C98 Right to Organize and Collective Bargaining Convention, 1949
- C100 Equal Remuneration Convention, 1951
- C111 Discrimination (Employment and Occupation) Convention, 1958
- C151 Labour Relations (Public Service) Convention, 1978
Guidelines, policies and manuals
- ILO Policy Guidelines on the promotion of decent work for early childhood education personnel (2013)
- Handbook of good human resource practices in the teaching profession (2012)
- An HIV/AIDS Workplace Policy for the Education Sector in the Caribbean (2011)
- An HIV/AIDS Workplace Policy for the Education Sector in Southern Africa (2006)
National labour legislation (NATLEX database)
Meeting of Experts on Policy Guidelines on the Promotion of Decent Work for Early Childhood Education Personnel
12 - 15 November 2013, Geneva
Eleventh session of the Joint ILO/UNESCO Committee of Experts on the Application of the Recommendations concerning Teaching Personnel, October 2012
Background studies and report of the 11th CEART session, held in Geneva in October 2012.
22-23 February 2012
Find out more from
Mr. Oliver Liang
education, culture, media, graphics
Sectoral Activities Department
International Labour Office
4, route des Morillons CH-1211 Geneva 22 Switzerland
Tel:+41 22 799 6204
Fax : +41 22 799 7046
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org