Comment and analysis

2020

  1. Blog

    It’s possible to break the working poverty vicious circle

    28 February 2020

    Put yourselves in the shoes of a vulnerable worker: You have a job but you struggle to make ends meet. You want to improve your skills so you can get a better job but it’s impossible because you are too busy working. How can you break this working poverty vicious circle?

  2. © Shawn 2020

    Blog

    258 million workers over-educated for their jobs

    26 February 2020

    More than 935 million workers in the world have jobs that don’t match their educational level: 72% of them are under-educated for their jobs, while the remaining 28% are over-educated. This new data in ILOSTAT covers 114 countries, which means that the actual global figures are probably much higher.

  3. Blog

    Can we achieve decent work for all by 2030?

    22 February 2020

    The ILO Department of Statistics has just fulfilled its SDG reporting duties for 2020. What the data show is not encouraging: at this pace, we won’t achieve decent work for all by 2030​.

  4. © Mohamed Abd El Ghany / REUTERS 2020

    Blog

    Hard data needed on disability and work

    19 February 2020

    "The ILO is committed to drive the discussion on disability inclusion. Measuring and monitoring progress will be vital if we are to go beyond words," says ILO Director-General Guy Ryder.

  5. © Gabon Review 2020

    Blog

    How many women work in STEM?

    11 February 2020

    New data on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) occupations reveal the extent to which women are employed in this field across countries.

  6. © J. Harpy 2020

    Blog

    New lives, new freedoms – How labour migration empowers Nepali women

    31 January 2020

    The importance of migration and remittances will continue to grow in Nepal, because approximately 500,000 individuals are entering the labour market annually but only one in 10 are finding jobs.

  7. © Business Reporter 2020

    Business Reporter

    Why we need a human-centred future of work

    27 January 2020

    While there is no doubt some jobs will be lost through these changes, there is also a huge potential to create decent work. But, at the moment, these are just possibilities. It is up to us to turn them into reality.

  8. Blog

    Measuring job quality: Difficult but necessary

    27 January 2020

    The quality of our job determines to a great extent our well-being and life quality, but measuring it requires taking into account numerous aspects of our working conditions.

  9. Blog

    Transition from school to work remains a difficult process for youth

    16 January 2020

    The ease or difficulty with which young people are able to transition from school to work has a lasting impact on their lives and labour market prospects.

  10. Blog

    Gender equality in the workplace remains elusive

    11 January 2020

    ILOSTAT data show that progress is needed in many areas and in every region to achieve gender equality in the labour market.