ILO and World Employment Confederation Webinar
Covid-19: Social Protection for recovery
The International Labour Organization (ILO) and the World Employment Confederation (WEC) jointly organised the third in the series of the 2020 webinars on 15 October 2020 from 10:30-12:00 CET on Social Protection for Recovery. It brought together social partners, representatives from public and private employment services, government policymakers and academia to discuss social protection responses to Covid-19 crisis and strategies for building back a better and resilient labour market.
The first part of the webinar discussed the impact of the Covid-19 shock on social protection systems and on beneficiaries, highlighted policy and programme responses adopted by countries at different levels of development and provided insights into the short, medium and long-term solutions and opportunities for building back a better, fairer, inclusive and more resilient labour market.
In the second part, the global Social Partners provided their perspectives on the future of social protection systems and what are the key elements from them to integrate in building futureproof social protection systems.
The webinar shed light on:
- The impact of Covid-19 crisis on social protection systems and the short, medium and long term solutions for an inclusive and shock-responsive social protection;
- The role of occupational safety and health (OSH) for a safe return to work;
- The intersection and synergy of social protection and OSH for a better and more resilient labour market; and
- The role of private sector social innovation programmes in supporting workers and contributing to a resilient social protection infrastructure
Related documents:- Programme
- Presentation slides
Panelists:- Mr. Sangheon Lee, Director, ILO Employment Policy Department
- Ms. Bettina Schaller, President, World Employment Confederation
- Mr. Chris Yoon, WAPES Secretariat, World Association of Public Employment Services
- Mr. Tom Hadley, Moderator
- Ms. Christina Behrendt, Head of Social Policy Unit, SOCPRO, ILO
- Mr. Joaquim Pintado Nunes, Branch Chief, LABADMIN/OSH, ILO
- Mr. Sebastien Delfosse, Board Member World Employment Confederation and Chair of the EU Sectoral Dialogue Committee
- Ms. Evelyn ASTOR, Policy Advisor, Economic and Social Policy, ITUC
- Mr. Luis Rodrigo Morales, Senior Advisor IOE
To learn more about the World Employment Confederation, click here