Inclusive job-rich growth has never been the natural outcome of growth per se. It is rather the interplay of market forces and the role of the State in channelling those forces, and the outcome of policy initiatives affecting the supply and demand side of the labour market.
The project "promoting inclusive job-rich growth", funded by Swedish International Development Cooperation (Sida), focuses on the development of ILO's analytical capacity to evaluate the primacy of productive employment as the central vehicle for pro-poor growth in a sound and integrated manner, rather than piecemeal way.
The generation of this analytical capacity will increase the quality of the ILO's policy advice to the governments and the social partners on how best to enhance the productive employment content in the context of their own national development planning and strategies for poverty reduction.
Main objectives of the project
The project is located in Geneva as a global project. The main outcomes of the project are:
- A "user-friendly" methodology for employment diagnostics is developed and tested, and is used to underpin national employment policies and development strategies.
- Employment targets are introduced as key features in national development strategies.
- An approach to analyzing methods for reducing vulnerability to crises' impacts, in the context of increasing economic globalization, is incorporated as a diagnostic tool by member states
These methodologies are tested and applied in selected countries. The project works closely with the ILO Constituents and social partners at country level.
- March 2012: Presentation of results of the work on employment diagnostic analysis and employment targeting to donors at Sida, Stockholm
- March 2012: Workshop on regional development in Maluku, Indonesia as a follow-up to a request from the provincial government.
- March 2012: Presentation in Geneva of the lessons learnt from country application and localisation of the employment diagnostic analysis methodology in Indonesia by the Employment Specialist from ILO Jakarta.
- March 2012: Presentation of the work on employment diagnostic analysis and employment targeting at a conference organised by Development and Cooperation Directorate-General of the European Commission.
- February 2012: A “training of trainers” course on the employment diagnostic analysis and employment targeting methodologies for a team of experts in Surabaya, Indonesia and a diagnostic training workshop in Gorontalo province, Indonesia.
- February 2012: Presentation of the survey on “Workers perception of the factors supporting sustainable enterprises in Indonesia” in Jakarta, Indonesia.
- January 2012: Validation workshop on the Enabling Environment for Sustainable Enterprises assessment tool in Barbados.
- November 2011: Validation of the study “Croissance, emploi et politiques pour l’emploi au Mali » and presentation on employment targeting at the intersectoral committee meeting for the validation of the assessment study on the national employment policy
- October 2011: National seminar on employment diagnostic analysis organised jointly by ILO Jakarta and Bappenas to present the lessons learnt from application of the diagnostic methodology in Indonesia.
- Presentation of the report on: The sultanate of Oman : the enabling environment for sustainable enterprises : an "EESE" assessment.
- September 2011: Presentation of the work on employment diagnostic analysis and employment targeting at the conference on Inclusive Growth Diagnostic Analysis by the PREM Network of the World Bank in Nairobi.
- September 2011: Knowledge sharing and capacity building workshop on the Enabling Environment for Sustainable Enterprises in Barbados.
- June 2011: Workshop on employment diagnostic analysis in San Salvador, Republic of El Salvador.
- June 2011: Workshop on building capabilities for economic development and productive employment in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- May 2011: Presentation and validation of the conclusions Skills for Trade and Economic Diversification (STED) report on Kyrgyzstan.
- May 2011: Technical workshop on Enabling Environment for Sustainable Enterprises in Mongolia organised jointly with the Mongolian Employers Federation
- April 2011: Workshops on economic and productive employment diagnostic analysis in Surabaya and Ambon, Indonesia.
- March 2011: Workshop on Employment-led growth Nepal.
- February 2011: Training workshop on concepts and methods for employment targeting and employment diagnostic analysis in San Jose, Costa Rica.
- January 2011: Workshop on employment diagnostic analysis in Kupang, Indonesia.
- September 2010: Workshop on Employment diagnostic analysis: Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Workshop on regional development in Maluku, Indonesia, March 2012
- Country level rapid impact assessment of crisis on employment
- Employment diagnostic analysis: Maluku, Indonesia
- Employment diagnostic analysis: Nusa Tenggara Timur, Indonesia
- Challenges for achieving job-rich and inclusive growth in Mongolia
- Employment diagnostic analysis: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Swaziland: The enabling environment for sustainable enterprises: An “EESE” Assessment
- Constraints and challenges for achieving inclusive job-rich growth in Mongolia
- The dynamics of employment, the labour market and the economy in Nepal
- Employment-led Growth in Nepal
- Employment Diagnostic Analysis on Malawi
- Guiding structural change: the role of government in development
- Rwanda forging ahead: The challenge of getting everybody on board