BackgroundThe Youth Guarantee (YG) in Latvia targets young people aged 15-29 who are neither in employment nor in education or training (NEETs). The strategy underpinning the implementation of the YG revolves around a number of key reforms in the areas of early intervention, activation and labour market integration measures. More specifically, it envisages the:
- development of a comprehensive approach to reach out to young people who are neither in employment, education and training (NEETs);
- introduction of career education in schools to help young people make informed choices;
- establishment of second chance vocational education programmes; and
- design and implementation of a new workflow in the State Employment Agency and the introduction of a number of measures tailored to youth needs.
ObjectivesAs part of the ILO/EC Action “Enhancing capabilities of practitioners to design, implement and monitor youth employment policies”, the ILO and the Ministry of Welfare of Latvia organized on 12-13 April, 2016 a capability enhancement workshop aimed to:
- Deepen the knowledge on comprehensive approaches targeting NEETs;
- Review the design and targeting of YG measures, including those for disadvantaged youth and measurement of quality outcomes;
- Identify potential labour market distortions stemming from design and implementation
- Share knowledge and experience among participants
ParticipantsThe workshop was designed for the staff of the Ministry of Welfare (Youth Guarantee coordination team), Ministry of Education and its Agencies and Programmes, and State Employment Agency and of its local labour offices, as well as representatives of employer organizations, trade unions and youth organizations.
The profile of workshop’s participants included technical competencies in the broad areas of the YG (early intervention, activation and outreach; education and training; counselling and guidance; employment and self-employment) and in monitoring and evaluation systems. A total of 29 participants representing the implementing organizations of the Latvian Youth Guarantee Implementation Plan, attended the workshop.