What is the KILM?
The Key Indicators of the Labour Market (KILM) the ILO’s research tool for labour market information. The first KILM was released in 1999. It has since become a flagship product of the International Labour Office (ILO) and is used on a daily basis by researchers and policy-makers throughout the world.
- is a comprehensive database of country-level data on 18 key indicators of the labour market (listed below) from 1980 to the latest available year. In this context, the KILM can serve as a tool for policy-makers and researchers in monitoring and assessing many of the pertinent issues related to the functioning of labour markets.
- is a source of the latest ILO world and regional estimates of employment and unemployment indicators. The estimates are presented in a box in each indicator’s manuscript along with an analysis of the global and regional trends and data.
- is a training tool on development and use of labour market indicators. Each indicator is accompanied by descriptions of the standard international definition of the concept and measurement procedures, guidelines on how the indicator can be used in analyses of labour market issues, and words of caution on comparability limitations. Readers are guided on the value of using multiple indicators to develop a broader view of labour market developments.
- highlights current labour market trends. The trends identified in an analysis of each indicator accompany each indicator manuscript, with graphics to display results.
- analyses key issues in the labour market. Chapter 1 highlights "key issues" relating to the world’s labour markets while demonstrating how labour market information is used to analyse labour market issues and to guide policy recommendations. Links to the “key issues” sections of the current and previous KILM editions are provided below.
The KILM 7th Edition is now available
With four formats available – publication, interactive software, online database, and Excel add-in – accessing the country-level data for the 18 key labour market indicators, nine tables of world and regional aggregates, and descriptive text explaining the indicators’ use, definitions and basic trends is easier than ever. The three electronic versions of the KILM contain the data sets and manuscript as well as the basic statistics used to calculate the indicators from 1980 forward. The electronic products are updated on a regular basis.
KILM 7th Edition software
The KILM 7th Edition software is a custom application that is installed on a PC. Data and software are automatically updated via the Internet; however, the software will run without an internet connection. The software allows the user to build complex queries. View data in a grid or with a world map. Create word processor reports. Export data to Excel, MS Access and comma-delimited files. Copy and paste data. Graph data and export the cross-tab data and graphs to Excel. Data can be filtered on multiple parameters and sorted on up to four columns. Create country reports – word processor documents or spreadsheets that include filtered data from multiple tables for a single country. Nine tables of regional data are now available. It operates in English, French and Spanish. Microsoft Windows PCs only.
Clicking the link above will take you to a web page. Click the “Install” button and run the downloaded file. Once the program is installed, access it from the “Start” menu, select “Programs”, then “Key Indicators of the Labour Market 7th Edition.” If you have problems installing or operating the software, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A series of video tutorials for the KILM 7th Edition software is available on YouTube.
KILM 7th Edition Excel add-in
The KILM 7th Edition Excel add-in is an Excel add-in that operates with Excel 2010. It allows you to download KILM data directly into Excel spreadsheets. Microsoft Windows PCs and Excel 2010 only. For instructions and more information, see the installation webpage. If you have problems installing or operating the software, please contact us at email@example.com
KILMnet is the online KILM web site at http://kilm.ilo.org/kilmnet. KILMnet is accessible from any web browser. View data in a grid or using a world map. Data can be filtered by country, year, sex and age group, where appropriate. KILMnet is currently in English only.
Downloadable PDF files:
To view these files, you need to have Adobe Reader installed. This product is available, free, from http://www.adobe.com.