|Original name:||Yhdenvertaisuuslaki (1325/2014).|
|Name:||Non-Discrimination Act (1325/2014).|
|Type of legislation:||Law, Act|
|Entry into force:|
|Bibliography:||Act online in Finnish and Swedish Ministry of Justice, FINLEX, www.finlex.fi, Finland, 7 pp. PDF in Finnish (consulted on 2016-01-23)
Unofficial English Translation Ministry of Justice, FINLEX, www.finlex.fi, Finland, 8 pp. PDF in English (consulted on 2016-01-25)
|Abstract/Citation:||The purpose of the Act is to promote equality and prevent discrimination as well as to enhance the protection provided by law to those who have been discriminated against.
Contains 6 chapters and 29 sections concerning, inter alia:
Chapter 1: General provisions.
- Section 1 Purpose of the Act.
- Section 2 Scope of application.
- Section 3 Relationship to other legislation.
- Section 4 Definitions.
Chapter 2: Promotion of equality.
- Section 5 Authorities duty to promote equality
- Section 6 Duty of the education provider to promote equality.
- Section 7 Employers duty to promote equality.
Chapter 3: Prohibition of discrimination and victimisation.
- Section 8 Prohibition of discrimination.
- Section 9 Positive action.
- Section 10 Direct discrimination.
- Section 11 Justifications for different treatment.
- Section 12 Justifications for different treatment at work and in employing personnel.
- Section 13 Indirect discrimination.
- Section 14 Harassment.
- Section 15 Reasonable accommodation to realise equality of persons with disabilities.
- Section 16 Prohibition of victimisation.
- Section 17 Prohibition of discriminatory work advertisements.
Chapter 4: Supervision.
- Section 18 Supervisory authorities.
- Section 19 Tasks and powers of the Non-Discrimination Ombudsman.
- Section 20 Tasks and powers of the National Non-Discrimination and Equality Tribunal.
- Section 21 Bringing the matter for handling by the National Non-Discrimination and Equality Tribunal.
- Section 22 Tasks and powers of the occupational safety and health authorities.
Chapter 5: Legal protection and sanctions.
- Section 23 Compensation
- Section 24 Amount of compensation.
- Section 25 Discriminatory contract terms.
- Section 26 Claim concerning compensation or discriminatory contract terms.
Chapter 6: Miscellaneous provisions.
- Section 27 Hearing of the Non-Discrimination Ombudsman.
- Section 28 Burden of proof.
- Section 29 Entry into force.